Associate Product Manager
Product – Product Management /
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learn to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We recently raised our Series B, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, (over 23k citations) and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
Product Managers have the unique opportunity and responsibility to both define product vision and drive results. On this team, you’ll get to work with one of the leading AI and NLP teams in the world and grow the product vision and company culture.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London but embrace being remote-first! There are no restrictions on where you can be located for this role.
As an Associate Product Manager, your responsibilities include:
Customer Engagement and Research
- Work with developers and enterprise customers to understand their needs and pain points through feedback, focus groups, customer interviews, conferences, etc.
- Research the competitive landscape, industry trends, and stay up to date on the latest AI and deep learning papers from leading conferences (NeurIPS, ICLR, etc.) to find new ideas and inspire the team
- Analyze product data to understand usage and find opportunities for improvement
- Work with leadership to shape and understand company strategy and goals
Design and Product Development
- Leverage insights from customer engagement to define and prioritize a product roadmap
- Spec and design improvements and features, including defining metrics for success
- Propose new initiatives and features
- Work with partners and leadership to prioritize short and long-term investments
- Make tradeoffs during unforeseen challenges uncovered in the development process
- Lead internal project planning, coordinating team resources and informing stakeholders
- Ensure projects are rolled out with clear metrics and hypotheses and define the next steps for success
- Market and celebrate successes and document learnings, internally and externally
Team and Company Impact
- Embrace adjacent roles and responsibilities per team and project needs -- it’s a startup after all!
- Promote a culture of learning and listening
You may be a good fit, if you have (APM/APM Intern):
- Recently graduated/are graduating university or are in your first few years on another product team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field (math, EE, etc.), or relevant technical experience
- Demonstrated exposure to or passion for machine learning, algorithms, large scale systems, and statistics
- A scrappy, startup mentality to move fast, iterate quickly, learn on the go, and take initiative
- Great communication and interpersonal skills working across different teams, personalities, and working styles
- (Preferred) Previous experience releasing software
You may be a good fit, if you have (Senior PM/Product Manager):
- All of the APM qualifications
- 2+ years as a technical program manager, product management, or engineer, preferably working in AI/ML or developer APIs
- Product leadership experience driving engineers and scientists
- Experience finding and developing product market fit
- (Preferred) An MBA, advanced technical degree (MS or PhD), or a background in machine learning, algorithms, large scale systems, and statistics
- (Preferred) Experience working with cloud and distributed systems
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation and shared Canada/US/UK holidays