Business Development Lead
Palo Alto /
Go-to-Market – Business Development and Sales /
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learn to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We recently raised our Series B, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, (over 23k citations) and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
Business Development at Cohere is responsible for developing the strategy and partnerships that will enable rapid growth. We’re a small but mighty team focused on solving some of the thorniest (and most interesting) challenges facing our business.
As one of the earliest members, you’ll have an outsized opportunity to shape our GTM approach. You’ll own high impact and visibility projects, run experiments that inform our strategy, identify new areas for Cohere to sell into, and work closely with the Product and Sales team.
If you’re a go-getter, this role could be a great opportunity. You’ll work on real business challenges immediately and have lots of autonomy to come up with new ideas and novel ways to solve problems. You need to be comfortable operating a self-directed environment.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto and London but embrace being remote-first! We are looking for candidates based in Canada or United States for this role.
As a Business Development Lead, you will:
- Be part of a fast moving, nimble, high-performing and fun-loving team
- Have a voice on the biggest strategic challenges facing Cohere
- Own high impact workstreams, e.g., owning the pricing model, leading the competitive intelligence work, crafting an approach for bringing our tech to startups
- Design and execute rapid experiments designed to inform our GTM strategy
- Conduct value assessments to measure ROI for enterprise customers
- Become an expert on the application of cutting edge NLP technology
- Live our values day-in and day-out
You may be a good fit, if you:
- Have 3-5 years of management consulting or startup experience
- Have a passion for business development and strategy
- Are curious and eager to learn about NLP
- Are a team player – we collaborate regularly & support each other, pick each other up, and cheer each other on
- You don’t quit. It’s not always easy to bring new technology to market, so resilience is key
- You thrive in the face of ambiguity, bringing process and calm to uncertain situations
- You have strong analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills to tackle a wide variety of challenges
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation and shared Canada/US/UK holidays