Head of Engineering
CoinTracker is a portfolio assistant for cryptocurrency. Used by over 125,000 cryptocurrency holders with over $3 Billion in crypto assets on exchanges, it enables consumers and businesses to seamlessly track their cryptocurrency portfolio, investment performance, taxes, and more. Beyond cryptocurrency, we are building a general automated financial assistant for all financial assets.
Our mission is to increase the financial freedom and prosperity of individuals and companies.
Some things we’re proud of:
💲 Over $3B in crypto assets are tracked on CoinTracker
📈 Over $1M per year in revenue, portfolio subscriptions growing >10% week-over-week
🤝 Partnered with Coinbase, TurboTax, and other industry leaders
💼 Backers including Y Combinator, Initialized Capital, Serena Williams, and more
🗺️ Founders: Jon and Chandan previously built TextNow ($50M/year revenue business) and worked at Google & Google[x]
Join our tight-knit early-stage remote team that thrives on interesting technical challenges and building magical products that improve peoples' lives. As the Head of Engineering, you will be directly responsible for successfully building and scaling the CoinTracker tech stack and engineering team.
• Drive architectural changes to scale CoinTracker to 1M+ users
• Scale the engineering team from a team of five to dozens
• Lead the team to continuously ship product & engineering improvements every sprint
• Implement culture and processes that emphasize quality, reliability and efficiency
• Execute as an individual contributor on some of the key objectives as time permits
This role may be a good fit if you:
• Are passionate and proficient and experienced at building scalable, high quality products and engineering systems
• Are an effective Engineering leader
• Write high quality code, value software testing, and uphold best practices in engineering, security and design
• Are productive, resourceful, and an effective problem solver
• Work effectively in a remote setting and are able to overlap with our core hours of 9 AM to 12 PM PT
• Thrive in an early-stage startup environment with less stability and more ambiguity
• Are interested in financial products and/or cryptocurrency
What's it like working at CoinTracker?
We are a fully distributed, tight-knit team spread across three countries and five cities. We have minimal process, and the majority of our time is spent working and collaborating asynchronously through tools like Figma, Github, Linear, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. We also stay aligned and bonded through two-week sprints, standups, all hands and socials. We aim to empower every individual on the team with full transparency, ownership, autonomy, and clear objectives.
Our engineering process includes:
• Code reviews
• Continuous integration
• Multiple daily automated deployments to production
• Automated testing with >85% code coverage
Some of the technical challenges we face are:
• Lots of data — billions of data points to track transactions and market pair prices.
• Data structures & algorithms — automated transfer detection, cost basis tracking, tax optimization, and more. Your CS fundamentals finally come in handy!
• Scalability — some cryptocurrency users, such as algorithmic traders, accumulate millions of transactions per year. CoinTracker needs to work seamlessly for those power crypto traders.
• Blockchain — whether it's running our own nodes, implementing xPub address generation and traversal, or parsing smart contracts to seamlessly support decentralized trading, we get our hands dirty with core blockchain technology.
• Technical complexity — integrating with hundreds of exchanges and blockchains, and supporting thousands of cryptocurrencies means we have to methodically architect our software and build critical monitoring systems to deliver a robust and accurate platform.
Sample projects you might lead:
• Implement real-time transaction synchronization with blockchains and exchanges.
• Develop a smart order routing platform to enable cryptocurrency trading across exchanges, taking into account full transaction history, tax lots, fee detection, arbitrage and slippage.
• Implement tax loss harvesting to reduce capital gains taxes for cryptocurrency users.
Last but not least, our tech stack is:
• Mobile: React Native, Expo, GraphQL
• Backend: Python, Flask, GraphQL, Postgres, Redis, Python RQ
• Infrastructure: Heroku, AWS
If this sounds exciting, we'd love to hear from you!