Web/Systems Application Development Manager (Remote/Anywhere)
Cambridge, UK /
Systems Development /
Collabora is looking for an experienced Web/Systems Applications Software Development Manager to lead our internal Systems Development team (4 full-time developers in-house and 2 more to hire).
The internal Systems Software Development team supports and develops the software tools and applications used within the company to deliver client projects and efficiently run the day-to-day business operations.
Working with a variety of internal stakeholders (including Engineering, Delivery, Sysadmin, People Operations, Finance and Sales/Marketing), your team will own and be accountable for the technology roadmap for Collabora's internal systems and web applications, driving best practices and architecture.
What can you expect to work on?
Collabora primarily uses Open Source Software applications to run its business processes (timelogging, invoicing, feedback, project management, asset management, communications, business intelligence...) integrating with a small number of 3rd party SaaS applications . Some of our tools are developed in-house and others are customised from open source projects to suit our use cases. Examples of our software tools include: GitLab (with GitLab CI), Docker/Podman, Grafana, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SuiteCRM, Phabricator, OTRS, SnipeIT, Hugo, Ansible, and an in-house developed Django web application, among others.
Development spans Web FrontEnd (some React), Web BackEnd (Django, Celery), APIs (FastAPI, DRF), DataBases, analytics, CI and deployment automation. Python is the primary programming language, although PHP, Go, JS,SQL procedures and shell scripting can be required depending on the application.
You will be leading the Internal Systems Development team in designing and improving tools architecture, security, applications integration across heterogeneous systems and managing the technical debt, as well as working and liaising with the System Infrastructure team (SysAdmin) to ensure adequate deployment processes and optimal configuration. You will be working across all parts of Collabora to understand automation needs and opportunities.
Additionally, you will also engage with the Open Source communities for the projects we use.
Key responsibilities for the organization
- Be overall accountable for IT-related aspects (architecture, technology, support, maintenance, quality, deployment, improvements/enhancements, privacy, security, risk, monitoring and incident management) of a defined portfolio of applications.
- Be overall responsible for the governance and oversight of that portfolio of applications.
- Efficiently elicit and analyse requirements from all the internal stakeholders, consolidate and maintain a roadmap, plan the execution with milestones and deliverables and get ‘go/no-go’ from the different internal stakeholders.
- Ensure use of best in class software development practices (coding, testing, deployment, security) while minimizing regressions.
- Remove roadblocks and escalate where appropriate.
- Communicate clearly with team members, internal stakeholders and leaders.
- Build relationships with all internal parties: communicate, motivate, and inspire team members; gain influence, trust, and credibility within the organization to build and help foster collaborative work relationships.
- Ensure compliance with our policies, processes and legal guidelines.
- Reduce complexity by understanding business requirements and applying application domain expertise to solve problems.
- Ensure that all common processes and procedures are documented and easily accessible by all relevant parties.
Key responsibilities for the team
- Set and enforce clear expectations for the team.
- Monitor and evaluate team performance and continuously coach team members via the Performance Management process.
- Supports team members in applying best practices throughout the analysis, estimation, design, development, and deployment of new software and systems.
- Produce personal development plans (PDPs) for individuals.
- Escalate and resolve performance issues.
- Ensure team effectiveness, utilization, and performance is at high levels.
- Recruitment and onboarding of new developers
- Promote Collabora ideals and values.
- Promote the morale of the team.
- Solid experience of designing, building, supporting and managing business critical, data-driven Web Applications in a Linux environment.
- Understanding of Open Source, its value and position in the software industry.
- Understanding of Open Source engineers and communities, both motivation for individual developers and interactions between projects.
- Strong understanding of software engineering.
- Demonstrated career progression into a management position.
- Good interpersonal skills: outgoing and engaging individual who is effective at building good working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Good English language skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work and communicate in an online, globally distributed environment.
- Coaching and mentoring experience, and process development skills.
- Project and people management experience
Collabora is a software consultancy specialising in bringing companies and the open source software community together. We combine years of open source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. Collabora brings deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set top box/smart TV, and a range of other specialised embedded applications. We, at Collabora, aim to accelerate the adoption of open source technologies, methodologies, and philosophy. Because of this, it is essential that you feel equipped to embrace open source technologies.
Collabora has the unique business model of enabling enterprises to leverage Open Source software in their solutions. Having worked with notable industry leading companies in the automotive, aerospace and handset mobile verticals amongst many others, Collabora has established a broad customer portfolio.