Principal Web/Systems Software Developer (Remote/Anywhere)
Collabora is looking for a Principal Web/Systems Software Developer to lead our Internal Systems Development team.
The Internal Systems Development team supports and develops the software tools used within the company to deliver client projects and efficiently run the day-to-day business operations. The team does not directly work on client projects, however our internal systems are growing and, as part of that we are also in the process of engaging Open Source communities for the projects we use.
Working with a diverse set of internal stakeholders (including Engineering, Delivery, Sysadmin, People Operations, Finance and Sales/Marketing), you will own and be accountable for the technology roadmap for Collabora's internal systems driving best practices and architecture. You will be an experienced Software Developer with DevOps experience, augmenting the expertise of the team around you.
In this position you will help advance our presence in the Open Source world.
What can you expect to work on ?
Collabora naturally uses Open Source software within its business processes. Some of our tools are developed in-house and others are customised from open source projects to suit our use cases. Examples of our software tools include: GitLab (with GitLab CI), Docker, Grafana, MariaDB, SuiteCRM, Phabricator, OTRS, Hugo, Chef, and an in-house developed Django application, among others.
You will be leading the Internal Systems Development team in designing and improving tools architecture, security, integration and managing technical debt, as well as working and liaising with the infrastructure team to ensure adequate deployment processes and optimal configuration. You will be working across all parts of Collabora to understand tooling needs.
- Fluent in Python/Django, conversant in PHP
- Strong familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, CI infrastructure, and modern web application deployment and monitoring
- Relevant experience designing and developing web applications
- Experience with schema design, data processing, and database query profiling
- Sound and demonstrable understanding of programming and system and database administration concepts
- Sound and demonstrable understanding of modern service deployment models and techniques
- Expertise in analysing and improving data models to improve performance and functionality
- Demonstrable experience developing new features and solutions to connect internal and external tools
- Designing and developing REST APIs
- Excellent Stakeholder management skills
- Experience technically leading a team and providing input into performance reviews for team members
- Open source oriented thinking to understand how to leverage Open Source in our internal system and contribute back to the community.
- Knowledge of open source development methodologies
- Contributions to relevant open source projects
- Skills in other modern languages (Go / Rust / Ruby) as well as frameworks such as Ruby on rails.
- Familiarity with GitLab CI is preferred
- Self-motivated and reliable, with a demonstrable passion for learning and collaboration
- Able to work autonomously, understand a wide context and set priorities for self and others
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good English proficiency (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work in an online distributed environment
Who are we?
Our raison d’être is to accelerate the adoption of Open Source technologies, methodologies & philosophy. We strive towards this goal by providing consulting services specialized in bringing companies and the Open Source community together. Being part of the Open Source community, we believe in a world of shared knowledge and collaboration for the advancement of humanity and we are always enthusiastic about sharing, teaching and learning with everyone around us.
Our highly technical and talented team, distributed across 25+ geographies all over the world, brings deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, linux kernel, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set top box / smart TV, and a range of other specialized embedded applications (low-latency audio/video, audio/video streaming solutions, audio/video editing...).