Engineering People Lead (Remote/Anywhere)
Cambridge, UK /
People Operations /
Do you work in an engineering environment and have a passion for developing people? If so, we want to hear from you.
This new exciting role at Collabora is to ensure our Collaborans receive a consistently high standard of people management, to foster communication and engagement, ensure well-being and best-in-class performance across the business while sustaining our unique culture.
Engaging our people does not fall entirely on your shoulders and requires collaborating with the other key stakeholders in the organization (Project Managers, Account Managers, Technical Sponsor, Technical Leads, Engineering Manager, People Operations), you will be in a unique position to understand and implement what it takes to ensure our people feel more supported than ever while working at Collabora.
This role is about:
- Having meaningful conversations with the people you will take care of throughout the year to:
- Create a trusted relationship, understand what your teammates value and to enable them in achieving this
- Ensure all company communication reaches out to each and every person with all the required context, whilst being objective in communicating all the facts and not your own assumptions
- Strive to create genuine connection and a sense of belonging within the company
- Handle open and honest coaching conversations to help each and every person understand their strengths and areas of improvements
- Support the people personal aspirations and objectives in a way that is aligned to the objectives of the organization
- Understand the performance and development planning process and support your team throughout all stages
- Guide and support the team through regular conversations, tracking progress against objectives, managing performance issues and conducting appraisals.
- Making difficult decisions as and when required
- People Leadership:
- Communicate (make sure everyone hears the same story, act as a thermometer for peoples' feelings), engage with people and nurture an inclusive and safe environment, pay attention to peoples' success, well-being and interactions through regular conversations (team meetings, 1:1s)
- Help/coach peoples' career development and professional aspirations through Personal Development Plan (PDP) discussions
- Collect helpful and contextual performance feedback from various stakeholders and deliver in a timely, regular and consistent fashion
- Run talent assessment and participate in the pay review cycle
- Serve as an escalation point and report issues to the Engineering Manager and People Operations (POps) Team as necessary
- Develop opportunities for more regular internal meetups (when circumstances allow it)
- Participate in recruitment, grades assignment and rate negotiations
- Manage the new joiners’ onboarding process alongside the POps team
- Participate in the optimisation of recruitment and on-boarding processes
- Skills Management:
- Capture training needs of the engineering team and ensure all the right parties are informed to be able to follow-through on the required steps
- Participate in the people assignment of projects whilst carefully balancing the projects’ needs with the peoples' technical development aspirations
Who are you?
- You are passionate about your work, love to share, coach and embody some of our key values such as Openness, Transparency and Trust. You understand the value of genuine interpersonal communication, especially within a globally distributed work environment. You respect and cherish individuality and are able to engage with people accordingly.
- You will need to have years of experience demonstrating:
- Working in distributed, complex and multifaceted environments and thriving at communicating with others.
- Proven experience in managing (1:1’s) and developing people (PDP’s) in remote teams across multiple time zones within an engineering environment
- Strong soft/communication-centric skills: equal emphasis on listening as well as sharing information
- Coaching skills: taking an “Ask vs. Tell” approach
- Able to work with salary, development and other people-related issues sensitively and professionally
- Ability to lead, inspire and act in the best interest of both the individual and the company
- General technical understanding of the technologies Collabora works with: Embedded Linux systems, Linux kernel, GPUs, multimedia technologies etc.
- Ideally, we would like to see participation in some Open Source Communities. Being an open source software engineer who has successfully made the transition to develop and manage engineers would be an advantage.
Collabora Ltd. is a software consultancy specialising in bringing companies and the open source software community together. We combine years of open source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. Collabora brings deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set top box/smart TV, and a range of other specialised embedded applications.
Collabora has the unique business model of enabling enterprises to leverage Open Source software in their solutions. Having worked with notable industry leading companies in the automotive, aerospace and handset mobile verticals amongst many others, Collabora has established a broad customer portfolio.