Montreal, Canada/Cambridge, UK/Remote with travel as necessary
Collabora is looking for a dynamic Project Manager to join our project management team. The role will be based in our Cambridge or Montreal office, or remotely with a substantial amount of working hours overlapping the UK and Montreal.
Collabora is a leading software consultancy specialising in bringing companies and the open source software community together. We combine years of open source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. Collabora brings deep technical expertise in system integration, architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile communications, IVI / automotive, set top box/smart TV, and a range of other specialised embedded applications.
You will work in our globally distributed project management team among other high calibre project managers, leverage experience and nurture new ideas. You will have the opportunities to work with global industry leading companies and to participate in high tech projects with the latest technology.
Your involvement with the projects will begin early in the life-cycle, when you will be supporting the preparation of technical and commercial proposals, and you will continue with the projects through to their successful delivery to clients, and hopefully follow-up sales.
You will manage the client relationships and be the focal point for all communications. This will require you to both think about the projects at a high level while at the same time understanding the projects at a detailed level.
You will work closely with globally distributed project teams and manage projects on a day to day basis. With the support of Technical Leads, you will apply the project management methods, processes and tools necessary to ensure that projects are correctly defined, planned, costed, resourced, and tracked. You will keep clients informed of progress and ensure that risks and issues are managed and mitigated. You will also be a mentor to the teams, providing a sounding board.
- Manage a number of Open Source technology projects of various sizes and complexities
- Understand customers needs and what makes them successful – apply these to deliver successful projects and explore future business opportunities
- Liaise with Engineering Manager to build and maintain project teams
- Manage and motivate project teams to ensure project success. As our clients and project engineers are globally distributed, certain flexibilities in working practices will be required according to customers' and engineers' needs.
- Weekly project financial updates and appropriate actions to ensure projects are successful and profitable
- Communicate with Finance department to timely issue project invoices
- Weekly and monthly reports to Head of Project Management to drive projects progress and personal development
- Support Proposal Manager to prepare technical and commercial proposals
- Deliver projects and services to high quality standards in accordance with our defined processes and workflow
- Support the optimization of current processes and the definition of new ones for continuous improvements according to the business needs
- Customer visits and international travel as required
- Commercial Skills
- Negotiate internally and externally at all levels
- Financially astute, understand what makes a successful business
- Technical Skills
- Account management, including stakeholder and commercial management of the engagement
- Full life-cycle project management, including planning, execution, reporting, and financials
- Able to spot risks and mitigate/work around them before they develop into issues
- Hands-on experience of real-time embedded systems (e.g. in terms of testing, build and integration, release and defect management), ideally in an open source environment
- Agile software development methodologies
- Experience of running highly distributed project teams across multiple time zones would be a great advantage
- Personal Skills
- Self starter, manage own work and others, escalate at the appropriate level with mitigation plan when required
- Excellent organisational skills with a commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Good communicator at all levels
- Excellent in time management and prioritising workload for self and others
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work
- Forward looking and learn from experience
- Team management experience including mentoring, ability to motivate others and build team morale
- Fluent in English (and French if based in Montreal)
- Good bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Knowledge or experience working in an ISO-9001 environment would be an asset
- Professional project management qualification would be an advantage