Interim Automated Test Engineering Technician
Collabora Ltd. is a software consultancy specialising in bringing companies and the open source software community together. We combine years of open source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. Collabora brings deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set top box/smart TV, and a range of other specialised embedded applications. We, at Collabora, aim to accelerate the adoption of open source technologies, methodologies, and philosophy. Because of this, it is essential that you feel equipped to embrace open source technologies.
Collabora has the unique business model of enabling enterprises to leverage Open Source software in their solutions. Having worked with notable industry leading companies in the automotive, aerospace and handset mobile verticals amongst many others, Collabora has established a broad customer portfolio.
For a 6-month project, we are looking for a qualified Automated Test Engineering Technician to undertake a variety of hardware and software tasks for our Automated Device Testing Lab Infrastructure, provided as a testing service to multiple projects and end-users.
Our Automated Device Testing Lab, based in our Cambridge office, contains a farm of many target devices, i.e. DUTs (Device Under Tests such as laptops and SBCs – Single Board Computers, HW Boards) which need to be setup up, configured (programmed/flashed) and connected for power, network and automation.
- Device Testing Farm setup (wiring, connection, racks...) and deployment in production
- Daily monitoring of the status of the farm (e.g. “health check of each and every device”) to provide seamless and uninterrupted service
- Report and perform root-cause failure analysis on HW/SW issue whenever possible (acting as a 1st line support, routing to 2nd line of support as necessary)
- Make and test changes in DUTs configuration as well as requesting those changes to be integrated in the configuration management with the SysAdmin team
- Ensure the lab is kept in good working order and document it as required
- Maintain equipment and supplies necessary for day to day activities of the lab (and help on the sourcing whenever needed/required)
- Consistently and clearly communicate with developers, project managers, and other team members, in a remote work environment
- Proven track record in a similar role is a must-have
- Knowledge of HW cables, Racks, Networking, SBCs (Single Boards Computers) and Power Switches is essential
- Knowledge of how to install and use software programs
- Familiar with Linux is a big plus (all the Infra is based on Linux)
- Comfortable with working in a room full of devices
- Commitment to safety and environmental compliance
Desired Personal Skills:
- Ability to work with minimal day to day supervision, work very independently, and be a self manager/motivator
- Ability to acquire new skills quickly, work on urgent and multiple tasks
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good English language skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work and communicate in an online distributed environment