Embedded Linux Software Developer
Cambridge, UK /
We are currently looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Embedded Linux Software developer with Open-Source exposure to join our team in our office in Cambridge/UK. This position requires regular presence in our Cambridge office although remote working can be possible from time-to-time.
Your main mission will be two fold:
- Contribute to the development, expansion and support/maintenance of our Automated Software Testing Lab Infrastructure (leveraging LAVA – Linaro Automated and Validation Architecture - https://lava.collabora.co.uk/) based in our Cambridge office. This test infrastructure is focused on kernel, graphics and system validation as part of the CI loop, providing a way to test on a wide variety of different hardware, for multiple customers, communities and projects. It is located in our Cambridge office and currently supports a variety of DUTs (Device Under Tests) from SBCs (Single Board Computers), HW boards to laptops and servers, which need to be setup up, configured (programmed/flashed) and connected for power, network and test automation.
- Provide consulting services to our clients in the areas of Embedded Linux (bootloaders, Linux kernel, BSP, Linux Distros) through software development, integration, debug and testing for different types of products and customers.
- Analysing client problems and designing solutions leveraging open source technologies and Collabora's technical expertise
- Defining and scoping client projects in collaboration with the delivery team
- Discussing Linux core system technologies with clients and representing the company at conferences and trade shows to demonstrate and promote our leadership in the open source arena
- Contributing publicly to open source projects to ensure Collabora's continuing technical leadership
- Gain working knowledge of customers’ products, applications, technical and business strengths and target markets
- Understanding client needs and reconciling time constraints, available technologies and resources, and open source best practices
- Broad Linux experience (e.g. uBoot, Linux kernel and BSP, Linux Distros, Flashing, low-level debugging)
- Knowledge of open source development methodologies and relevant open source communities
- Knowledge of ARM processors-based HW boards, Networking, Single Boards Computers and Power Switches is essential
- Experience with Debian systems and networking would be a big plus
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues in a Linux-based environment
- Good English language skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work and communicate in an online fully distributed environment
- Any track record of experience on Debian
- Familiarity with one or more of Collabora's market verticals
Collabora is a software consultancy specializing in bringing companies and the Open Source community together. We combine years of Open Source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. Collabora brings deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set top box / smart TV, and a range of other specialized embedded applications.
Collabora has the unique business model of enabling enterprises to leverage Open Source software in their solutions. Having worked with notable industry leading companies in the automotive, aerospace and handset mobile verticals amongst many others, Collabora has established a broad customer portfolio.