Pre-Analytical Shift Lead, Overnight
Burlingame, California /
Clinical Laboratory /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
The Pre-Analytical Shift lead acts as the central point of information and coordination for the night shift handling sample overflow. The lead is broadly responsible for ensuring that:
•The work of the shift is scheduled properly
•The team is coordinated, informed, supported, and focusing on the most important work
•Any issues are surfaced, addressed and documented
•The lab space is prepared and maintained
•Information moves smoothly between shifts, between pre-analytical and analytical teams, and between lab and ops
•Training is scheduled and supervised accordingly
You will be working in a highly automated, high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory, with other laboratory professionals who have joined Color from UCSF, Stanford, Invitae, Counsyl, and other academic and commercial laboratories. Your work will have a direct impact on people’s lives by scaling up the availability of COVID-19 testing and developing much needed public health infrastructure.
Shift: Monday - Friday 10:00pm - 6:00am
How You'll Contribute:
- Coordination of shift sample processing
- Establishing or understanding the priority queue of samples to be accessioned and prepared for processing
- Allocating pre-analytical staff during the shift to different responsibilities
- Scheduling plates for send out and coordinating with couriers
- Preparing reagents and equipment for the next shift
- Communication within the pre-analytical team
- Ensuring that the pre-analytical team understands any relevant updates to the workflow
- Being responsive to questions and concerns from the pre-analytical team
- Quality support
- Observing, documenting and resolving or escalating sample processing issues that arise, such as instrumentation issues, sample-specific or plate-specific issues
- Supporting staff training, observing performance and providing ongoing support
- Observing and reporting discrepancies between demand and staffing
- Communication between teams
- Point of contact with Operations teams for instrumentation, lab stocking issues
- Point of contact between Tech Transfer and R&D teams for non-clinical runs, troubleshooting and new process launches
- Ensuring clear communication between previous and subsequent Pre-Analytical shifts
- Lab maintenanceMaking sure that the lab space is prepared, stocked and maintained.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Graduation from college with a major in an appropriate scientific field and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of duties assigned to the position
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Drive
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of safe handling of biohazardous specimens and chemical reagents
- Prior experience working in a high throughput CLIA-certified clinical laboratory
- Physical/health screening required
- This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Color has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.