Clinical Lab Assistant, COVID-19 (Temporary)
Recently named Rock Health 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is the leader in delivering advanced healthcare through clinical genetics. We make precision health programs accessible, convenient, and cost effective for everyone. Color partners with leading health systems, premier employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us program by the National Institutes of Health.
Color recently launched a high throughput CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory integrated with public health tools. The testing facility, based in Burlingame, CA, processes samples from hospitals and public health authority testing efforts, with a near-term goal of performing 10,000 tests per day. The testing platform connects supply to demand through an integrated software platform for public health agencies to manage risk screening, test ordering, results delivery, case management, contact tracing, and public health agency case reporting. Color is also establishing scientific collaborations with the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and Weill Cornell Medicine to develop and openly share technology. The goal of the collaborations is to directly increase COVID-19 testing capacity, introduce new testing technologies, and share protocols that can help labs across the U.S. scale testing capacity more rapidly.
The Clinical Lab Assistant will be responsible for assisting in routine sample processing in a high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory, and you will be working with other laboratory professionals who have joined Color from UCSF, Stanford, Invitae, Counsyl, and other academic and commercial laboratories. Your work will have a direct impact on people’s lives by scaling up the availability of COVID-19 testing and developing much needed public health infrastructure.
In this role, you will:
- Manage specimen receipt and accessioning
- Assist in routine laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, maintaining lab cleanliness and a safe laboratory environment
- Manage inventory
- Assist licensed personnel in the following, under direct and constant supervision: routine clinical testing (including nucleic acid extraction and PCR), equipment and reagent validation, and other laboratory activities requiring licensure in specialties or sub specialties
- Research and development activities for future test protocols
- Write formal laboratory procedures
- Follow laboratory’s established policies and procedures
- Document all corrective actions taken when there is a deviation to the test system
We are looking for:
- Graduation from college with a major in an appropriate scientific field and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of duties assigned to the position
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Drive
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of safe handling of biohazardous specimens and chemical reagents
- Shift hours: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
What is nice to have:
- Prior experience working in a high throughput CLIA-certified clinical laboratory
- Physical/health screening required
Note: This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Color has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.