Senior Software Engineer, Bioinformatics
Remote, USA /
Technical – Engineering /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
Color is looking for a Senior Software Engineer for our Bioinformatics team, which is composed of folks with diverse previous experience in next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies, genomics, big data, cloud computing and machine learning. We are responsible for building the clinical NGS analysis pipeline, identifying novel classes of genomic variation, building tools for genomic interpretation and collaborating with R&D lab scientists to bring new products to market. As Color expands our genomics platform in new and exciting directions, we are continuing to bring on top talent in bioinformatics.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with deep experience in pipeline infrastructure and systems to grow this team. Ideal candidates will bring expertise, humility and a strong intellectual curiosity to our overall mission of democratizing access to genetic information.
How You’ll Contribute:
- Scale our genomics platform to ingest, analyze and draw insights from a rapidly growing pipeline of genomic data.
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our analysis pipeline.
- Build world-class bioinformatics tools that raise the bar industry-wide.
- Collaborate with laboratory scientists and data scientists to translate R&D work to clinical production analyses.
- Generate and pursue novel new ideas for improving our genomics platform.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- You’re passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic disease. You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- You have 5+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role).You have designed and deployed high performance and distributed computing systems.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code and work aggressively to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds.
- You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- You effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
Nice to Have:
- You have experience building pipelines using workflow engines such as Toil and workflow languages such as CWL.
- You are familiar with the basic principles in bioinformatics, genomics and NGS technology.
- You have experience shipping code in a clinical production environment.
- You have previously worked with large amounts of healthcare or genomic data.
Possible Projects To Contribute To:
- Build a genomics infrastructure that scales efficiently to the volume of large studies such as “All Of Us” (1 million participants).
- Optimize runtime for “proof of principle” algorithms developed internally.
- Reduce complexity or remove dependencies in our clinical analysis pipeline.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.