Clinical Lab Scientist
Burlingame, California /
Clinical Lab /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
Color recently launched a high throughput CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory integrated with public health tools. The testing facility, based in Burlingame, CA, processes samples from hospitals and public health authority testing efforts, with a near-term goal of performing 10,000 tests per day. The testing platform connects supply to demand through an integrated software platform for public health agencies to manage risk screening, test ordering, results delivery, case management, contact tracing, and public health agency case reporting. Color is also establishing scientific collaborations with the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and Weill Cornell Medicine to develop and openly share technology. The goal of the collaborations is to directly increase COVID-19 testing capacity, introduce new testing technologies, and share protocols that can help labs across the U.S. scale testing capacity more rapidly.
The Clinical Lab Scientist will be responsible for the performance of a novel clinical test for the diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 in a high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory, and you will be working with other laboratory professionals who have joined Color from UCSF, Stanford, Invitae, Counsyl, and other academic and commercial laboratories. Your work will have a direct impact on people’s lives by scaling up the availability of COVID-19 testing and developing much needed public health infrastructure.
How You'll Contribute:
- Perform analytical processing of specimens
- Perform established quality assurance procedures (quality control testing, instrument function checks, maintenance and calibrations), maintain appropriate documentation and report nonconformances
- Prepare and maintain accurate laboratory records
- Troubleshoot instruments and resolve technical problems whenever possible, document corrective action, and report problems to the supervisor
- Assist in instructing laboratory personnel in the principles and techniques of diagnostic tests and examinations
- Flexibility with working hours as business needs dictate
- Stay current and in command of critical issues and changes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Graduation from college with a major in an appropriate scientific field and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of duties assigned to the position
- Training in clinical laboratory science as a generalist or limited license
- 2+ years of experience as a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Experience with Microsoft and Google Suite
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of safe handling of biohazardous specimens and chemical reagents
- Valid CA Clinical Laboratory Scientist license/certification in one of or all of the following areas: 1) Generalist license 2) Limited license
- Shift 1: Sunday - Thursday 2:00PM - 10:00PM
- Shift 2: Tuesday - Saturday 2:00PM - 10:00PM
Nice to Have:
- Prior experience working with automation and liquid handlers
- Prior experience working in a high-throughput environment
- Physical/health screening required
- This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Color has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.