Software Engineer, Core Product
Burlingame, California /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
Color's core product team is bringing data-driven healthcare to patients, doctors, and employers. The team’s work covers a diverse set of challenges, including genetic testing, health engagement, and most recently, large-scale COVID testing for programs including CityTestSF.
We're looking for motivated engineers to scale our products to millions of users.
How You'll Contribute:
- Design and build novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare and genetics
- Collaborate with product, design, data science, and our scientific teams to build cutting-edge, clinical-grade genetic tests and services
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our core products and services
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase
- Develop all levels of the technical stack even if you’re more experienced in some layers
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- You’re passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic disease. You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- You have 1-3 years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role).
- You've built and launched features, products and/or systems successfully into the wild and iterated to incorporate user feedback.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code and avoid unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds. You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc, etc.
- You effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- You’re excited about leveraging off-the-shelf components when possible, with good judgment about what to use and where to find it.
Nice to Have:
- You have experience with health tech platforms like Epic, Cerner, Athena, and Redox and protocols like HL7 and FHIR and/or scientific platforms such as LIMS.
- You have experience with modern web stacks including Python, Django, AWS, SQL, REST APIs, React, HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+.
Possible Projects To Contribute To:
- Roll out a new genetic test for an important health condition like cancer or heart disease, from ordering to fulfillment to detailed, personalized genetic results.
- Build a comprehensive COVID-19 testing product for an employer reopening after shelter in place
- Expand our accessible, collaborative family history experience, allowing distant relatives to collaborate on collecting and building their family's detailed history of hereditary diseases.
- Build interactive user experiences to share non-clinical genetic insights like wellness and ancestry.
- Build information management systems and workflows for physicians, HR benefits manager, and other professionals who rely on Color for their populations.
- Design a novel service/app to help Color's clients manage their health and take actions to reduce their risk of major diseases.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.