Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Burlingame, California /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
Color's Engineering team builds the products and platforms for population health at scale. Our team powers Color's diagnostic testing products for COVID-19 and genetics, serving hundreds of thousands of new clients from diverse organizations including public health programs, schools, and national research studies.
We're looking for an experienced engineer to lead the scaling of our data platform to enable Color to return valuable insights about millions of users to our internal and external partners. You will define our data platform strategy and execution, and ensure that we provide reliable and accurate data to fuel new insights and to support operations.
How You’ll Contribute:
- Develop and automate large-scale data processing systems to deliver data insights at an enterprise scale across Color’s operations
- Design our ETL data models that allow easy storage and retrieval of complex data types
- Develop logging, metrics, and alerts that enable us to ensure our data platform is up to date and functioning
- Collaborate with software engineers to develop data models and schemas that help provide easy access to complex data sets
- Work with data scientists and analysts to help design systems for returning data insights to internal partners and external customers, eg Color Data
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 4+ years of experience in software development
- 2+ years of experience working with data engineering and platform projects
- Experience writing production-level code in Python
- Ability to analyze large data sets and identify and solve data errors, quality issues, and provide data insights
- Passion for maintaining a high bar for code quality and rigorous engineering practices
- Working knowledge of SQL databases and queries, as well as experience designing data schemas
- You have experience working with modern computing platforms and tools such as AWS, git, PostgreSQL, and Docker
- Ability to lead complex software engineering projects from design to completion
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with technical and non-technical partners from many teams
Nice to Have:
- You’ve previously worked with large amounts of healthcare or genomic data
- Experience designing and deploying high performance computing systems
- You’ve mentored junior engineers or led a small team
Potential Projects to Contribute to:
- Design a fast and reliable data processing pipeline that outputs aggregated and summarized results of SARS-CoV-2 testing per population
- Help develop new data structures and models than enable fast access to healthcare data
- Build tools that process thousands of genetic variants per sample and store them for easy access
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.