Engineering Director, Platform and Distributed Systems
Color believes that everyone deserves access to high-quality information they can use to improve and maintain their health. We are transforming how clinical-grade genetic testing is done by removing financial, educational, and geographic barriers. Our goal is to expand physician-supported access to genetic testing to help every person, everywhere understand their risk for hereditary disorders.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering director to partner with 10-15 engineers leading our bioinformatics (distributed systems) and internal clinical platform teams. These teams are responsible for all of the scientific and clinical tools/insights we generate for our clients -- from our massively parallel cloud-based bioinformatics pipeline, to a suite of supervised models/prediction algorithms and our clinical operations platform (tools for medical geneticists, variant scientists, lab scientists, and genetic counselors). No background in biology/genetics is required -- the team has a great mix of software engineers and domain experts -- but a passion for science, engineering, and interdisciplinary learning is a must.
- Work with internal customers and domain experts in computational biology/genetics to devise a plan for expanding and growing Color’s internal clinical platform (bioinformatics pipeline, predictive models, systems infrastructure, scientific tools)
- Enable the engineering team to maintain a high level of productivity and reliability, with a focus on systems/process optimization and overall quality improvements (novel variant callers, novel algorithms)
- Lead engineering-wide initiatives and process improvements across the org (onboarding, design doc review, etc.)
- Recruit world-class engineers
- Develop engineers on the team, organizing and delivering regular 360° feedback
- Manage internal team processes to help the team operate smoothly and interface effectively with the rest of Color
You might be a good fit if:
- You’re passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic disease. You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- You’ve managed teams that designed and operated critical data infrastructure, with robust measurements of quality and performance
- You know how to balance the usability, reliability, compliance and cost of critical systems
- You have a background in designing novel algorithms/classifiers, distributed systems infrastructure, and/or performance tuning/optimization.
- You have experience managing and mentoring subject-matter experts in fields/subjects that are different from your own background/expertise.
- You give deeply technical design/code feedback, but empower your senior engineers to own design decisions
- You rely on influence and persuasion (not top-down edict) to drive changes
- You are excited about collaborating with and learning from scientists/domain experts across Color’s organization. You regularly read or skim the latest journal articles/papers.
- You’re an experienced engineering manager who has mentored senior leaders (either other managers or individual contributors)
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.