Staff Software Engineer, Population Genomics Platform
Recently named Rock Health 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is the leader in delivering advanced healthcare through clinical genetics. We make precision health programs accessible, convenient, and cost effective for everyone. Color partners with leading health systems, premier employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us program by the National Institutes of Health.
Color is a modern health service that applies expertise in robotics, genomics, software and design to a crucial healthcare challenge: preventing or detecting conditions where early knowledge can improve health outcomes and reduce treatment costs. Color’s affordable, clinical-grade genetic tests help people understand their risk for hereditary cancer and heart conditions - knowledge that they and their doctors can use to create personalized health plans.
Color's Population Genomics Platform team builds the products that make population genomics at scale a reality. The team’s work allows Color to seamlessly handle thousands of new clients from diverse organizations including Health Systems, Employee Benefits Programs, and national research studies.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer to lead the PGP team to scale our products to millions of users.
- Design and build novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare and genetics
- Collaborate with product, design, data science, and our scientific teams to build cutting-edge, clinical-grade genetic tests and services
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our core products and services
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase
- Develop all levels of the technical stack even if you’re more experienced in some layers
You might be a good fit if:
- You’re passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic disease.
- You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- You have 7+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role).
- You've built and launched numerous features, products and/or systems successfully into the wild and iterated to incorporate user feedback.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code and work aggressively to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds.
- You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc, etc.
- You effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- You have defined product roadmaps in close collaboration with Product Managers, Designers, Researchers and other stakeholders.
- You leverage off-the-shelf components when possible, with good judgment about what to use and where to find it.
- You have experience with health tech platforms like Epic, Cerner, Athena, and Redox and protocols like HL7 and FHIR and/or scientific platforms such as LIMS.
- You have experience with modern web stacks including Python, Django, AWS, SQL, REST APIs, React, HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+.
- You have managed teams of engineers building and maintaining customer-facing products
Projects you might tackle include:
- Roll out a new genetic test for an important health condition like cancer or heart disease, from ordering to fulfillment to detailed, personalized genetic results.
- Expand our accessible, collaborative family history experience, allowing distant relatives to collaborate on collecting and building their family's detailed history of hereditary diseases.
- Build interactive user experiences to share non-clinical genetic insights like wellness and ancestry.
- Build information management systems and workflows for physicians, HR benefits manager, and other professionals who rely on Color for their populations.
- Design a novel service/app to help Color's clients manage their health and take actions to reduce their risk of major diseases.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.