Clinical Lab Assistant, Overnight
Burlingame, California /
Clinical Laboratory /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
The Clinical Lab Assistant will be responsible for assisting in routine sample processing for a night shift (9 PM - 7AM, 4 days) in a highly automated, high complexity CLIA-certified laboratory, and you will be working with other laboratory professionals who have joined Color from UCSF, Stanford, Invitae, Counsyl, and other academic and commercial laboratories. Your work will have a direct impact on people’s lives by scaling up the availability of COVID-19 testing and developing much needed public health infrastructure.
Shift 1: Monday - Friday 10:00pm - 6:00am
Shift 2: Friday - Monday 4:00pm - 2:00am
How You'll Contribute:
- Perform specimen receipt, accessioning and sample transfer using laboratory automation
- Assist in training incoming hires in sample processes
- Assist in routine laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, maintaining lab cleanliness and a safe laboratory environment
- Restock laboratory inventory and perform space maintenance as required
- Perform reagent and equipment preparation for the next shift
- Assist licensed personnel in the following, under direct and constant supervision: routine clinical testing (including nucleic acid extraction and amplification) and other laboratory activities requiring licensure in specialties or sub specialties
- Follow laboratory’s established policies and procedures
- Document all corrective actions taken when there is a deviation to the test system.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Graduation from college with a major in an appropriate scientific field and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of duties assigned to the position
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Drive
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of safe handling of biohazardous specimens and chemical reagents
- Prior experience working in a high throughput CLIA-certified clinical laboratory
- Physical/health screening required
- This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Color has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.