Automation Engineer, R&D
Burlingame, California /
Lab R&D /
Recently named by Rock Health as the 'Best Digital Health Company to Work For,' Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. Color works with health systems, employers, and national health initiatives around the world including the million-person All of Us Research Program by the National Institutes of Health.
Since March, Color has mobilized to repurpose core parts of its infrastructure for a massive COVID-19 response and helped fundamentally change the access model for COVID-19 testing across massive public health programs (including the City of San Francisco and community-based efforts in Oakland), major U.S. employers, and universities. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
We are seeking a highly motivated robotic overlord to wrangle our semi-sentient liquid handling and sample processing robots into submission! The ideal candidate approaches problems creatively and with eagerness; you have probably designed a Raspberry Pi controlled device to needlessly automate some aspect of your life, just because you thought it would be fun! We’d love you to join our R&D team, to design new hardware, to build automated products and to create the world's highest throughput and highest quality molecular biology automation stack.
How You'll Contribute:
- Design, build and test automated liquid handling protocols to perform state-of-the-art next generation sequencing and general molecular biology applications.
- Invent hardware and consumables to push the capabilities of traditional liquid handling robots to new limits.
- Build clinical quality procedures that have the robustness and reproducibility that you’d want to use for your own healthcare needs.
- Build vertically scalable automation that utilizes every minute of the work day, and every cubic inch of our clinical lab.
- Work with our incredible clinical team to understand the pain-points of existing processes and build new software or hardware tools to streamline and make robots more efficient, and people more effective.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- B.S and/or M.Eng in electrical, mechanical, biotechnology or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- Demonstrated domain expertise in liquid handling, lab and/or manufacturing automation.
- Utmost attention to quality, detail and the ability to record, track and document development projects.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Eagerness to learn quickly in new areas.
Nice to Have:
- Experience shipping code in a clinical production environment.
- Experience with next generation sequencing automation.
- Familiarity with HSL, C Sharp and Python.
- Experience driving innovation in the junction between software, robotics, and genetics.
Note: This position requires sustained work in a laboratory that will be receiving biological specimens that may include viruses for infectious diseases, including the COVID-19 virus (which is known to cause the coronavirus disease). Accordingly, this role involves the risk of infection. Color has implemented appropriate safety policies, training, processes, and equipment as per applicable guidelines.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.