Staff Software Engineer, Vaccines
Remote, USA /
Technical – Engineering /
Named by Rock Health as the Best Digital Health Company to Work For, Color is a leading healthcare technology company. Color is building and delivering technology-enabled healthcare to millions of people. Through partnerships with public and private partners including governments, employers and health systems, Color’s infrastructure and software enables large populations to receive essential healthcare services directly where they live or work. This includes testing and telehealth services for preventive health and infectious disease management.
Since March 2020, Color has mobilized to address the pandemic by leveraging its platform to scale COVID-19 testing programs around the country. Color’s platform is used by more than 100 major employers, universities and public health institutions, such as the City of San Francisco, the State of California and PerkinElmer, community-based efforts in Oakland, and others, to deliver critical health programs. For more information about Color and its response to COVID-19, visit www.color.com.
By investing in the technology that ensures easy and affordable access to healthcare, Color is creating the infrastructure that will serve us for decades to come. Apply to join Color and do some of the most important work of your career. If you are not sure that you're 100% qualified, but are up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
Color is a modern health service that applies expertise in robotics, genomics, software and design to a crucial healthcare challenge: preventing or detecting conditions where early knowledge can improve health outcomes and reduce treatment costs. Color’s affordable, clinical-grade genetic tests help people understand their risk for hereditary cancer and heart conditions - knowledge that they and their doctors can use to create personalized health plans.
Color's full-stack/generalist engineers enjoy building all kinds of systems and tools. No background or expertise in biology/genetics is required. Some engineers prefer working on the backend, and some don’t have a preference: there’s a large degree of flexibility and diversity of challenges.
This is a staff-level position, suitable for those with experience building complex software as part of a high-performing team.
This role is open to remote work outside of the San Francisco Bay Area!
How You'll Contribute:
- Design and build novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare and genetics
- Collaborate with product, design, data science, and our scientific teams to build cutting-edge, clinical-grade genetic tests and services
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our core products and services
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase
- Develop all levels of the technical stack even if you’re more experienced in some layers
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- You’re passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic disease.
- You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- You have 7+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role).
- You have 1+ years of experience leading teams of engineers building and maintaining complex engineering systems.
- You've built and launched numerous features, products and/or systems successfully into the wild and iterated to incorporate user feedback.
- You maintain a high bar for quality of code and work aggressively to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds.
- You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc, etc.
- You effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- You have defined product roadmaps in close collaboration with Product Managers, Designers, Researchers and other stakeholders.
- You leverage off-the-shelf components when possible, with good judgment about what to use and where to find it.
Nice to Have:
- You have experience with health tech platforms like Epic, Cerner, Athena, and Redox and protocols like HL7 and FHIR and/or scientific platforms such as LIMS.
- You have experience with modern web stacks including Python, Django, AWS, SQL, REST APIs, React, HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+.
Possible Projects To Contribute To:
- Build delightful registration flows to help families and individuals get vaccinated
- Create easier, richer appointment and scheduling experiences
- Enhance our inventory management system to deliver a world-class experience for healthcare professionals.
- Create experiences to help people securely report and retrieve their vaccination status.
- Much much more.
Color is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Color requires anyone working onsite or visiting Color’s offices to confirm they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious accommodation is timely requested and approved. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy for a role with Color.