San Leandro, CA /
Full-time and Part-Time
Common Networks was founded on the idea that everyone should have a choice for fast, affordable access to broadband internet. Right now, most homes in the U.S. don't. In fact, 62% of homes live in a monopoly broadband market. High-speed access unlocks all the superpowers on the internet. When it works, it can be a great leveling force across the world, giving everyone access to educational tools, entertainment, immediate translations, or even medical care that they wouldn’t otherwise have.
Common Networks provides suburban neighborhoods with internet using wireless technology. We interconnect homes in a neighborhood, creating a mesh network between homes and our fiber internet sources. A whole community can then have fast and reliable internet service with only a few locations needing fiber access.
As a field technician, you will visit customer’s homes and install the equipment necessary to provide broadband Internet access.
What you do
- Provide excellent face to face customer service
- Install wireless equipment on rooftops of residential homes and businesses
- Configure and troubleshoot wireless internet access points inside the customer’s home
- Understand, manage, and meet customer expectations regarding the aesthetics and functionality of each installation
- Review installation orders; gather equipment, supplies, and tools; and coordinate schedules with customers
- Plan installations by evaluating location, locating access / entry points, and laying-out the most efficient and effective equipment and wiring plan.
- Install equipment, which includes: mounting masts to the roof or side of home; running and pulling cable; programming and calibrating equipment; cleaning up and leaving the home as neat as you found it
- Verify correct functionality and optimal performance by testing equipment and connections and identifying and correcting any issues
- Maintain accurate records through documenting installations, services, and repairs
- Maintain a safe work environment by following safe practices and adhering to safety policies
- Ensure adequate supply levels by inventorying stock, placing, and verifying orders
- Update and improve your job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications
Who you are
- Hands on problem solver. You are the kind of person who grabs their tools and does DIY projects at home.
- A “get-it-done” person. You know that done is better than perfect and are energized by constantly delivering and moving things forward.
- Naturally curious and have a self-starter personality with hustle. You always look for ways to innovate and improve; you don't need to wait for people to tell you what to work on.
- A strong multi-tasker with an exceptional ability to prioritize and manage time effectively. You focus on the right things and can seamlessly move between projects & tasks without losing sight of what's important.
- Authentic, energetic, persuasive. You love talking to and interacting with people from all walks of life.
- Flexible and excited to work in a fast paced, rapidly evolving environment.
- Some experience with building things and working with your hands
- Able to work comfortably on a roof and climb ladders up to 40 feet in length
- Able to stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 75 pounds, work in tight spaces, including attics and crawl spaces and work outside in extreme weather conditions, including precipitation and temperature variations
- Valid driver’s license
Nice to haves
- Experience working in a non-office setting
Equal Employment Opportunity
Common Networks is committed to being an equal opportunity employer – we evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.