Director of Assessment
Washington D.C. or remote /
CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program, www.commonlit.org, that is used by millions of teachers and students worldwide monthly. We are a quickly growing team of passionate professionals - many of whom are former teachers. Our team is now almost 100 full-time employees spread across ~20 states.
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please describe your experience developing and maintaining assessments that measure reading and/or English Language Arts outcomes.
To ensure success with our instructional program and to sustain growing operations, we sell instructional and assessment services and products to schools and districts. CommonLit currently has thousands of paid partner schools throughout the United States. Our services and products include:
- CommonLit Benchmark Assessments Series (three ELA benchmarks per grade level)
- Unit Assessments and Professional Development related to CommonLit 360, CommonLit’s comprehensive ELA curriculum
- Add-ons related to CommonLit Digital Supplemental Library
CommonLit is extremely interested in continuing to build upon its suite of formative and summative assessments. The ideal candidate will approach assessment development in a systematic manner across the organization, with the goal of creating an integrated user experience on the platform.
About the Role
We are ready to take the organization’s assessment development to the next level by creating an integrated user experience on the platform.
In particular, CommonLit is looking for someone who has a track record of leading the operational development process for multiple assessment programs. The ideal candidate has experience developing and maintaining assessments that measure reading and/or English Language Arts outcomes. Specific responsibilities include project planning, personnel management, and management of passage-curation and item-development processes for our Benchmark Assessment Series. Additionally, the person in this role will help design and implement new assessment products. Training and experience in test construction, interpreting psychometric statistics and feedback, integrating examinee accessibility best practices, and supporting special student populations is required. K-12 teaching experience is desired.
This candidate should have exceptional communication skills and feel comfortable collaborating with CommonLit’s curriculum development, product development, and data science teams. This candidate should also have strong business acumen and be motivated to drive customer satisfaction and revenue. In this role, the candidate will work closely with the leadership of CommonLit’s sales and account management teams to design assessments that meet the needs of our customers.
The ideal candidate should enjoy working on a fast-moving and goal-oriented team. The candidate must also demonstrate empathy and understanding of a teacher’s workflow.
We expect this person to start in the spring of 2023. This job is open to remote candidates (CommonLit is a remote team with a headquarters in DC for optional use), but the team begins work at 9AM EST and keeps an East Coast schedule, with limited exceptions. This employee must reside in the United States.
- Required: Master’s Degree and/or PhD in assessment field
- Required: Experience managing cross-functional teams and large-scale projects
- Required: 5+ years of experience managing content development for exam programs
- Required: 2+ years of experience developing assessment products for a K-12 audience
- Preferred: 2+ years of K-12 Teaching experience
- Lead project planning and implementation for current and new assessment programs
- Lead operational assessment development processes
- Ensure CommonLit follows best practices in assessment development processes and procedures as outlined by current standards
- Ensure assessment team quality assurance practices are in place for assessment development processes, including test construction, psychometrics, accessibility, special student populations, English language learner populations, and other assessment topics and participate in national professional organizations and/or associations
- Enhance the national reputation of CommonLit as a developer and administrator of assessments
- Analyze and prioritize the needs associated with various departmental requests, outlining different ways of meeting those needs, accurately and effectively communicating with other departments
- Ensure assessment team has technical and procedural documentation for assessment development processes
- Lead organizational projects for new assessment development projects, including identification of appropriate expertise and resources for the successful completion of projects
- Ensure assessment team has appropriate training and professional development opportunities
- Perform other duties as required; some travel required
- $130k - $160k (commensurate with experience) plus full benefits including health care, 401k, dental, vision, and parental leave
Apply by Date
- Please apply by January 6, 2022
As an equal opportunity employer, CommonLit values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.