Resource Specialist - Part Time
739 Paw Paw Drive, Holland MI 49423
Direct Service /
About Community Action House
Since its founding in 1969, Community Action House (CAH) has been the focal point of community efforts to provide critical support and pathways out of poverty for our neighbors in need. We do so with a client-centric approach that meets people where they’re at and offers services that enhance client ownership and agency. Our work is organized in three interconnected areas: Food Access, Resource Navigation, and Financial Wellness. Welcome, excellence, and collaboration are some of our core values. Learn more at www.communityactionhouse.org.
In October 2021, we launched our new ‘Food Club & Opportunity Hub’ to expand efficient, impactful healthy food assistance with the on-site integration of other pathway programs. More recently, we announced a partnership with Dwelling Place to help address the affordable housing crisis here in Holland. This July, we publicly launched our expansion of Lakeshore Food Rescue (www.lakeshorefoodrescue.org).
Organizational budget: $9M-10M (inclusive of $5M in-kind support)
Agency Size: 60-70 staff and 900+ annual volunteers
Who we are. Who we aspire to be. What drives us. What unites us. Learn more, here!
- Radically Welcoming
- Lead with Kindness
- Always Improving
- Collaborative by Design
- Contagious Commitment
- One Team
Position: Part Time, 24-28 hours per week
General Operating Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 8:00pm; Saturdays 10:00am - 2:00pm
Seeking a candidate that is available to work some weekend or evening hours, on rotational basis
Reporting to: Assistant Director, Resource Navigation
Compensation: $18.50 - $21.00 per hour (based on experience)
Benefits: Part-time positions do not qualify for our benefits package
About the position
Would you describe yourself as adaptable? Are you passionate about connecting people to the resources they need? Do you enjoy problem-solving? If these things excite you, join our team as a Resource Specialist! We’re looking for a teammate who will build relationships with clients, determine resources needed for stability, and help remove barriers for our guests.
As a Resource Specialist, you’ll be responsible for reaching out to our guests and neighbors in need who are accessing our programs, including Food Club, Financial Wellness, and Outreach, with a caring hand to help support and connect them to internal and external resources. You’ll often serve as the first point of contact for our guests and will help them navigate Community Action House’s many programs and resources, as well as general resources in our area.
If you enjoy working with a variety of people, can manage multiple projects at once, and seek to welcome all with respect and compassion, this is the position for you!
English fluency required, and working proficiency of spoken Spanish preferred.
Regular Tasks in this Role
- Build relationships, evaluate guest’s needs, and provide assistance to our program guests and neighbors through triage calls and light case management.
- Based on guest’s needs, provide internal and external resources and accountability, while ensuring follow up and completion of internal and external referrals.
- Assist guests with intake paperwork across organization’s program offerings, including Food Club, Guest Services, Financial Wellness, and Outreach programs, in the greater Holland/Zeeland area at established “inreach” service locations such as the library, Community Kitchen, Refresh, Food Club and throughout the community.
- Verify program eligibility requirements for guests and referrals, and determine the correct entry point into CAH programming.
- Assist guests with a variety of tasks including applying for benefits from local, state, and federal agencies and providing follow up when necessary.
- Update and learn about new community, local, state, and federal resources that may benefit our guests, as they become available.
- Maintain timely and accurate program and client records and update and manage resource documents.
- Support the team with guest follow-up, data entry, case notes, and reports when necessary.
- Analyze guest data to better understand service gaps and increase quality of service.
- Work collaboratively with a cross functional team to ensure highest client service and to ensure programming efficiently and effectively helps our guests build skills to achieve a stable and prosperous life.
- Provide outstanding client service and interaction.
- Previous experience with case management or casework strongly preferred
- Interest in social services/human services, previous experience preferred
- Strong customer service skills with the proven ability to work with diverse populations
- Strong, active listening skills and ability to offer empathy
- Familiarity with MIBriddges, Suicide Prevention, and De-escaltion preferred
- Integrity, positive attitude, strong work ethic, and self-directed, with a strong commitment to continuous improvement
- Strong in critical thinking & problem solving
- Skilled in conflict resolution (CPI) and crisis management
- A team player with a flexible and creative approach within a friendly, yet demanding, work environment
- Ability to handle a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
- Self-reflective, humble, and able to compassionately engage and process with coworkers and diverse populations with a history of trauma
- Knowledge of client systems and greater Holland community, particularly the culture of poverty, issues regarding affordable housing, and an understanding of addiction/substance abuse
- Client management database knowledge preferred
- Working knowledge of Google applications and platforms
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks without direct supervision
- English fluency required and working proficiency of spoken Spanish is preferred
- Valid Drivers License and reliable working transportation is required
- This position requires the ability to drive between CAH buildings and to various community locations throughout Ottawa County, predominantly Holland/Zeeland area. Access to consistent and reliable transportation and a valid driver's license is required.
- Must be able to work independently and occasionally non-traditional hours (weekends, evenings).
- This position is required to stand or sit for long periods of time; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands and fingers to handle objects and use a computer / type.
- This position is infrequently required to stoop, kneel, bend, crouch and lift up to 25 pounds.
Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until position is filled. To apply, submit resume and 1 page cover letter, depending on position. Contact email@example.com with questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CAH is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Note: This Job Description is a description of the typical duties of this position, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties. Job incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.