739 Paw Paw Drive, Holland MI 49423
Full-time, salaried /
About Community Action House
Since its founding in 1969, Community Action House (CAH) has been the focal point of community efforts to provide critical support and pathways out of poverty for our neighbors in need. Our community-powered work takes a client-centric approach that meets people wherever they are at and offers services that enhance ownership and agency. Our work is organized in three interconnected areas: Food Access, Resource Navigation, and Financial Wellness. Welcome, excellence, and collaboration are some of our core values. Learn more at www.communityactionhouse.org.
In October 2021, we launched our new ‘Food Club & Opportunity Hub’ to expand efficient, impactful healthy food assistance with the on-site integration of other pathway programs. More recently, we announced a partnership with Dwelling Place to help address the affordable housing crisis here in Holland. This July, we publicly launched our expansion of Lakeshore Food Rescue (www.lakeshorefoodrescue.org).
Organizational budget: $9M-10M (inclusive of $5M in-kind support)
Agency Size: 60-70 staff and 900+ annual volunteers
Who we are. Who we aspire to be. What drives us. What unites us. Learn more, here!
- Radically Welcoming
- Lead with Kindness
- Always Improving
- Collaborative by Design
- Contagious Commitment
- One Team
Position: Full-Time, exempt
Hours available Monday - Friday 8:30am-5pm;
Must be able to occasionally work non-traditional hours (weekends, evenings) to support events and other development activities.
Reporting to: Annual Fund Manager
Compensation: $45,000 - $50,000 annual salary depending on experience
Benefits: Full time positions are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package
About the Position
CAH is seeking a mission-focused, detail-oriented Events Manager to join our Development Team. The Events Manager is an integral member of the Development Team, leveraging resources and to advance Community Action House’s mission and community-facing work. Through event management and support, this position will ensure meaningful experiences for donors and stakeholders alike. Primary responsibilities include planning of annual and one-time events including logistics coordination, vendor and event volunteer relationships, planning across departments, and day-of event activities.
A successful candidate for this role will bring strong creativity, exceptional interpersonal communication skills, be highly responsive, and be able to communicate effectively through written and verbal communication skills. Our ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, be an effective project manager who is able to navigate multiple and changing priorities. A successful candidate will blend a welcoming and affirming partnership approach with a commitment to impact, efficiency, and continuous improvement.
Responsibilities & Regular Tasks in this Role: Events Strategy Tasks
- Lead annual events strategy in partnership with the Annual Fund Manager including signature fundraising and cultivation events along with community-based fundraising initiatives.
- Utilize a continuous improvement approach to ensure CAH events are an exceptional experience for volunteers, staff and stakeholders.
- Identify new event and campaign opportunities to cultivate and attract new donors, volunteers, and build community awareness.
- Collaborate with the Development Team to identify, brainstorm, and implement event requirements and expectations.
- Ensure fundraising and events calendars are up to date.
- Develop, track, and analyze relevant metrics for events efforts through event evaluations and fundraising progress to determine the effectiveness of each event.
- Work with Communications Manager to ensure timely promotion of all events via public relations, mailings and social media.
- Lead and activate the Events Subcommittee to leverage community volunteer talent.
- Manage event direct expenditures budgets, maximizing return on investment for CAH.
Planning & Event Logistics Tasks
- Work with internal and external groups to ensure a positive event experience.
- Coordinate use of internal event space with other departments and programs.
- Organize all event logistics including but not limited to: event materials, coordinating communications, staff, volunteers, catering, securing venue, and other needed items.
- Lead coordination of details with the event venue, vendors and event talent.
- Coordinate set-up, tear-down, and clean-up for all events, and assist as needed.
- Coordinate event registration internally and promptly answer questions as they arise.
- Maintain vendor relationships through positive and consistent communication.
- Arrange photography and/or videography as needed.
Donor Acquisition & Retention Tasks
- Coordinate and manage in-kind partnerships, donation drives, and related events.
- Coordinate and manage logistics of new food and supply drives, including but not limited to materials, supplies, staffing, and volunteers.
- Assess success of previous campaigns and food and supply drives by compiling reports, and determining means of improvement.
- Support follow up efforts with past event attendees, sponsors, and campaign donors.
- Assist Vice President of Development with sponsorship requests, as needed.
- High school diploma required. Associate degree preferred
- Two (2) or more years of relevant experience required
- Passionate about Community Action House’s mission and values
- Proven event planning & management expertise
- Highly conscientious with a strong attention to detail
- Proficient in Google Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills and a talent for building strong relationships across differences
- Proven ability to work independently and manage multiple concurrent projects on time and on specification
- Experience using a CRM or fast learner with new technologies and database systems
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- Integrity, positive attitude, and commitment to learning and growth
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with other people
- Tech savvy with experience using GSuite & MS Office
- This position will function in an open office environment
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 30lbs, infrequently
- Must be able to work independently and occasionally non-traditional hours (weekends, evenings) to support events and other development activities
- Reliable transportation and driver’s license required to drive between CAH buildings and to various community locations throughout Ottawa County, predominantly Holland/Zeeland area
Management Received: General Direction: Plans and arranges own work. Uses a wide range of procedures to accomplish assigned objectives.
Management Responsibilities: This position is a project manager position and has no direct people manager reports.
Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until position is filled. To apply, submit resume and 1 page cover letter, depending on position. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CAH is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, and gender identity, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Note: This Job Description is a description of the typical duties of this position, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties. Job incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.