HR and Accounting Associate
739 Paw Paw Drive, Holland MI 49423
About Community Action House
Since its founding in 1969, Community Action House (CAH) has been the focal point of community efforts to provide critical support and pathways out of poverty for our neighbors in need. We do so with a client-centric approach that meets people where they’re at and offers services that enhance client ownership and agency. Our work is organized in three interconnected areas: Food Access, Resource Navigation, and Financial Wellness. Welcome, excellence, and collaboration are some of our core values. Learn more at www.communityactionhouse.org.
In October 2021, we launched our new ‘Food Club & Opportunity Hub’ to expand efficient, impactful healthy food assistance with the on-site integration of other pathway programs. More recently, we announced a partnership with Dwelling Place to help address the affordable housing crisis here in Holland. This July, we publicly launched our expansion of Lakeshore Food Rescue (www.lakeshorefoodrescue.org).
Organizational budget: $9M-10M (inclusive of $5M in-kind support)
Agency Size: 60-70 staff and 900+ annual volunteers
Who we are. Who we aspire to be. What drives us. What unites us. Learn more, here!
- Radically Welcoming
- Lead with Kindness
- Always Improving
- Collaborative by Design
- Contagious Commitment
- One Team
Position: 40 hours per week
Hours available Monday - Friday 8:30am-5pm;
Some weekend or evening hours as needed
Reporting to: Direct reporting to People + Culture Manager. Project management within Finance and
Compensation: $38,000 to $42,000 annual salary depending on experience
Benefits: Full time positions are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package
About the position
Community Action House is seeking a mission-focused, detail-oriented Human Resources and Accounting Associate to join our Finance and Administration Department! This position will be responsible for supporting human resources and finance efforts at the organization.
This role combines a range of HR and accounting functions, to ensure the smooth operation of our team. Within HR, the role will coordinate hiring efforts through our Applicant Tracking Software, Lever, and support administratively across a variety of other HR tasks. Within accounting and finance, the role will be involved in data entry into our accounting system for revenue and expenses, and a variety of other accounting tasks.
We are seeking a candidate that will bring strong coordination skills and has strong attention to detail. If you are passionate about our CAH’s mission and want to find other excited potential teammates, we need you on our team!
Regular Tasks in this Role: People & Culture (HR) Tasks
- Ensure a welcoming and inclusive hiring process for all candidates.
- Coordinate recruiting and hiring process. Includes assisting in job description creation, managing the job through our Applicant Tracking Software (Lever), posting job openings, reviewing resumes, conducting phone screens, and coordinating interviews.
- Partner with People and Culture Manager to provide regular communication and updates to hiring managers about active candidates’ status and next steps.
- Coordinate with incoming candidates on initial paperwork, overall onboarding process, and closing out other candidates not selected.
- Assist in strategic recruitment efforts such as AmeriCorps positions, coordinating and attending career fairs, and building relationships with college & university internship programs.
- Assist with onboarding steps, such as determining technology needs, business cards ordered, key assignment, and getting name tags and welcome packages ready.
- Lead in maintaining various employee perks including bi-annual branded clothing, Resale employee discount cards, and end of year staff gift.
- Assist with administrative duties related to People + Culture group meetings such as new-hire orientation, staff training opportunities, people leaders meetings and all staff meetings.
- Assist with yearly updates and releases of the Employee Handbook as a tool to communicate rights, responsibilities, benefits, and processes to new and existing teammates.
- Maintain confidential information and records in accordance with privacy laws.
- Assist with additional tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Ensure timely and accurate data entry for accounts payable into accounting software. Process and verify invoices, ensuring proper approvals are secured before payment.
- Assist in the recognition of revenue for the organization, in partnership with the Development department and other Finance team members.
- Assist in the processing of employee expense reports and corporate credit cards, ensuring compliance with organization policies.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports for internal use, including income statements and cash flow statements, to help management make informed decisions.
- Maintain organized and accurate financial records and documentation for auditing purposes and compliance.
- Provide support for financial projects, audits and other accounting related tasks as needed.
General Administrative Tasks
- Support with vendor communications for Information Technology (IT) including managed IT services, printers and point of sale systems.
- Support in smooth day-to-day operations of the office, including managing office supplies, and equipment.
- Schedule internal and external committee meetings within the Finance and Administration department including preparation of information, booking rooms, setting up virtual logins and audiovisual equipment and providing meeting materials.
- Collect and organize information for various reports and initiatives.
- 2+ years of work experience preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized and detail oriented, with ability to manage multiple tasks
- HR knowledge and experience preferred, or a willingness to learn
- Accounting knowledge and experience preferred, or a willingness to learn
- Technical capabilities sufficient for applicant tracking software and accounting system use (ex. Database system experience)
- Proficient in Google suite
- Integrity, positive attitude, and self-motivated
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Familiarity or experience with non-profits and Community Action House services
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent working proficiency in English required, proficiency in Spanish preferred
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Reliable transportation and driver’s license required. This position requires the ability to drive between CAH buildings and to various community locations throughout Ottawa County, predominantly Holland/Zeeland area.
- Must be able to work independently and occasionally non-traditional hours (weekends, evenings) to support recruitment activities.
Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until position is filled. To apply, submit resume and 1 page cover letter, depending on position. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CAH is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Note: This Job Description is a description of the typical duties of this position, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties. Job incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.