Research Analyst | Recruitment Year 2022-23
Paris, France /
Competition Practice – Paris /
We are one of the world’s leading economic consulting firms. We strive to recruit and develop talented people to work together to produce meaningful economic analysis of exceptional quality, and to create a positive impact on our clients and society.
Our European Competition Practice provides expert economic advice on competition policy, economic and financial regulation, public policy and the assessment of damages in complex disputes. We are looking to hire economists to help us to provide advice to our clients on some of the most high-profile cases before the European Commission, the General Court and national competition authorities, regulators and courts.
We believe that working in diverse teams, where everybody’s views are considered and respected, helps us to deliver work of the highest standards of quality and integrity.
About the role:
We are looking to hire Research Analysts who will have an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one. As a Research Analyst, you will become an integral part of a project team tasked with advising on the competitive impact of a merger or conduct. You will have a critical role in researching, analysing and interpreting the way that competition works in your client’s industry. Your analysis will form the fundamental basis of expert advice that will be given to clients, competition authorities and/or courts. You will work closely with your team to understand the issues that face the client, relating those issues to relevant economic theory, and supporting the analysis with solid and persuasive empirical evidence.
Research Analysts join us after completing their undergraduate degree in a quantitative subject. This would preferably be in economics, but we also welcome applications from graduates with degrees in computer science, mathematics or statistics.
This is a one- or two-year fixed-term position, ideal for candidates who are interested in post-graduate studies in economics but would like to gain work experience and a better understanding of economic consulting before returning to university.
- Analysing and interpreting significant amounts of client data in order to deeply understand how competition works in your client’s industry. This will involve, in particular, analysing customer data, price and cost data and competitor data / market shares
- Researching how firms compete with each other and identifying the most important variables that affect their decision making processes
- Identifying and summarising all the relevant facts to understand a client’s industry
- Taking responsibility for quality control and ensuring accuracy and error-free work product
- Drafting reports interpreting and summarising analysis
- Undergraduate degree in economics, ideally with focus on microeconomics, industrial organisation and/or econometrics. We also consider graduates who have obtained or expect to obtain a degree in other quantitative subjects such as computer science, mathematics and statistics
- Highly analytical
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to multi-task
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Stata and Excel skills desirable
- Fluency in French and English is required
Benefits of working at Compass Lexecon:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A wide variety of interesting and challenging projects
- An international team with a broad range of backgrounds and experience
- A blend of professional and academic environments
- The opportunity to work with top law firms, corporations, government bodies and academics
- A steep learning curve, coupled with a supportive and collaborative team
- The opportunity to contribute from day one
- For the most successful Research Analysts, the opportunity to do a Master’s degree sponsored by Compass Lexecon and to move on to our career programme.
What happens next?
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation. The recruitment team will then review your application. If your application is successful, you will be invited to our office to undertake a motivational interview. Applicants who pass this stage will be invited for a second interview with senior staff. Following this round, we will make a decision on your application and aim to be in touch within 1-2 weeks.
Compass Lexecon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We appreciate that recruitment agencies may have speculative CVs that they wish to submit to Compass Lexecon. To avoid any ambiguity around fees, please note that speculative CVs received by Compass Lexecon, that have not been authorised in advance by the Recruitment team, will be ineligible for an agency fee.