Information Technology Director
Reston, Virginia /
IT – IT Director /
Comstock Holding Companies, Inc. (Nasdaq: CHCI) is a leading real estate development, asset management and real estate services company that has designed, developed, constructed and managed several thousand residential units and millions of square feet of residential and mixed-use projects throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan market since 1985. In 2019, Comstock completed the disposition of its for-sale homebuilding operation to focus exclusively on commercial real estate investment, development, asset management and real estate related services. Anchoring CHCI’s transition is a long-term asset management agreement covering two of the largest transit-oriented, mixed-use developments in the Washington, D.C. area; Reston Station, a 5+ million square foot transit-oriented and mixed-use development in Reston, Virginia, and Loudoun Station, a nearly 2.5 million square foot transit-oriented, mixed-use development in Ashburn, Virginia, and additional development assets. Comstock’s significant experience with entitling, designing, developing, and managing a diverse range of properties including mixed-use (commercial and residential) properties, hotels, apartments, condominiums, and large-scale infrastructure projects, including commercial parking garages serving Metro commuters.
Comstock Holding Companies, Inc. is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol CHCI. For more information, visit www.ComstockCompanies.com.
The Information Technology Director is responsible for being onsite to oversee all company technology and technological resources related to Comstock and our business operations initiatives and plans for growth. This person is responsible for the management and execution of IT infrastructure and operations. S/He will participate with and lead a primarily third-party team to proactively design, fix and maintain our servers, workstations, network equipment, phone system, active directory, backup systems, and help desk support. Projects are broad in scope and require creativity, flexibility, analytical and structured thinking, as well as strong communication and leadership skills.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated and able to independently drive strategic initiatives to execution through effective teaming and networking across the company. The successful candidate has a strong technical background in building to current and future scale, development, automation, cloud infrastructure, the software development lifecycle and experience in the real estate industry. Above all, the individual needs to set departmental goals and provide the necessary follow-up to execute the IT plan without continuous executive management and oversight. Self-starter is a must.
Comstock is proud to be named a 2020 Top Workplace by the Washington Post. This recognition reflects our offerings which include a competitive salary with a generous benefit package (e.g., Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K Match, Life), opportunities for advancement, annual professional development funds, employee discount, friendly work environment and more! To learn more about Comstock Companies and how you can grow your career with our expanding portfolio, please visit: http://www.comstockcompanies.com and apply today!
- Provide leadership in identifying creative tech solutions, ensuring that they are consistent with the vision of the company as well as the practicality for use at our locations in the mid-Atlantic region
- Provide leadership for short- and long-range planning for all technology initiatives: infrastructure, staffing, training, evaluation, budgeting, and collaboration with others
- Understand the business and proactively identify projects/tasks and ensure all items are completed in a timely manner
- Build effective working relationships with third party technology providers and vendors to ensure maximum usage, prompt support, and cost-effective products
- Obtain RFPs for needed work, create and negotiate contracts/scope of work, and manage approved vendors and contracts accordingly
- Develop and mentor an IT workforce, including frontline support and system administrators, by recruiting, training and coaching employees and 3rd party vendors, communicating job expectations and appraising their performance
- Assist Help Desk with higher level issues that need to be escalated, taking a hands-on approach to solving problems
- Give support to remote users/ownership as well as Apple/Mac devices
- Design, develop, implement and coordinate IT systems, policies and procedures
- Responsible for creating and implementing standardization programs among property-level technology platforms, including computers, phones, copiers, internet providers, etc.
- Manage and monitor security of network resources to include password policies, virus protection, and email security; ensure data integrity
- Act in alignment with user needs and system functionality to contribute to organizational policy
- Provide reporting solutions to capture data/performance metrics for strategic use, analyzes data as needed; identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time
- Audit all IT systems and assess their outcomes
- Manage inventory/Preserve assets, information security and control structures
- Create an annual budget for IT hardware and software purchases and ensure cost effectiveness by regularly reviewing costs for services and products for both property and corporate objectives
- Provide exemplary customer service to team members, clients, vendors, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BS in Computer Science, MIS or similar field
- Minimum of 12 years of IT experience with at least 3 years managing a department/team effectively
- Working knowledge of the real estate industry from an owner, operator and development standpoint is a must
- Proven experience working in IT in the property management industry strongly preferred
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and network installations
- Working knowledge of Mac devices required
- Working knowledge of Yardi software required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Passion for innovation and the ability to anticipate future needs based on growth and market trends
- Ability to multi-task and follow through in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Must be able to effectively present information in a consultative manner and respond to questions from senior level management
- Ability to define and resolve complex issues
- Must be highly credible and trustworthy, and operate with high degree of integrity
- Must hold oneself and others accountable and strive for a high level of excellence
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude and be able to fuel growth and innovation
- Must be customer-focused and results-oriented
- Must want to continuously learn and develop
- Must be hands-on and have the ability to succeed with a small in-house staff and larger 3rd party provider
ONE COMSTOCK, ONE MISSION: Delivering extraordinary experiences in places people live, work, and play. To support Comstock’s core mission statement, all team members must demonstrate a commitment to customer satisfaction while promoting professionalism, collaboration, and respect for all individuals and organizations that do business with Comstock.
Comstock Holding Companies, Inc. is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer EOE/M/F/D/V. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.