Legal Counsel - Sales (EMEA)
London, England /
Legal & Information Security – Legal /
Dubbed an "open-source unicorn" by Forbes, Confluent is the fastest-growing enterprise subscription company our investors have ever seen. And how are we growing so fast? By pioneering a new technology category with an event streaming platform, which enables companies to leverage their data as a continually updating stream of events, not as static snapshots. This innovation has led Coatue Management, Altimeter Capital and Franklin Templeton to join earlier investors Sequoia Capital, Benchmark, and Index Ventures in the recent Series E financing of a combined $250 million at a $4.5B valuation. Our product has been adopted by Fortune 100 customers across all industries, and we’re being led by the best in the space—our founders were the original creators of Apache Kafka®. We’re looking for talented and amazing team players who want to accelerate our growth, while doing some of the best work of their careers. Join us as we build the next transformative technology platform!
About the Role
Due to our continued growth, we are looking for an enthusiastic Legal Counsel - EMEA to join an exceptionally strong and growing legal team in one of Silicon Valley's most well regarded and fastest-growing start-ups! The ideal candidate for this role will have a current bar admission and at least 5+ years of in-house legal experience working in a technology company. This position primarily supports our EMEA Sales organization in structuring, drafting and negotiating software and technology agreements, and may have additional responsibilities as needed in support of Confluent’s business.
This position reports to the Regional Counsel EMEA. The ideal candidate will be based near our London office, but we will consider applicants from other European States. Candidates who submit cover letters will be prioritized.
- Share responsibility for commercial legal support in the EMEA region, including the negotiation of software and cloud subscription agreements and professional services agreements
- Educate Sales team members by providing training and ongoing support on sales and contractual matters, including developing internal knowledge and training resources
- Develop in-depth product knowledge of all Confluent products and services
- Work collaboratively with legal team colleagues in EMEA and globally to support other business units and subject areas
What we’re looking for:
- Law degree from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in Europe
- 5+ years of commercial transactions experience, including at least 3 years in a technology in-house legal role
- Significant experience negotiating technology subscription agreements, license and support agreements, and cloud services agreements with large enterprise customers
- Experience in operating in an international environment with the ability to negotiate and draft in legal English and, ideally, with proficiency in other EMEA languages
- Familiarity with open source licensing and business models
- Experience and aptitude working cross-functionally with internal organizations to quickly identify issues and recommend solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to use sound judgment to address complex issues while maintaining an appropriate balance between legal and business requirements
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients, work independently with minimal supervision and occasional uncertainty, and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced startup environment
- Excellent team player
Additional highly desirable experience:
- Software in-house legal experience, especially in a start-up environment
- Experience with EU and local data privacy laws
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.