Customer Operations Engineer
Backed by Benchmark, Sequoia Capital, and Index Ventures, Confluent is one of the fastest growing startups in Silicon Valley. Founded by the team that built Apache Kafka, Confluent provides a streaming platform that enables companies to easily access data as real-time streams. In addition to our enterprise platform, we recently launched our cloud offering, Apache Kafka as a Service, which will allow companies of all sizes to leverage the power of streaming data. Join us on our mission to put a streaming platform at the heart of every company!
Customer Operations Engineers work at the intersection of our client services and engineering teams and drive customer success by helping identify and resolve critical business issues. In this role you’ll interact directly with our customers to provide software development and operations expertise, leveraging deep knowledge of best practices in the use of Apache Kafka, the broader Confluent Platform, as well as complementary systems. You will be hands on in fixing issues seen by Confluent customers and contributing fixes back to the open source community. Throughout all of these interactions, you’ll build strong relationships with customers, ensuring exemplary support and timely resolution to customer requests.
We are headquartered in Palo Alto, CA and we are searching for an individual to work remotely in Australia.
A typical week at Confluent in this role may involve...
- Working with customers to resolve a wide range of issues with their Confluent deployments
- Contributing to process development - we’re a small team, so we’re looking for people who want to help us lay the foundation for growing efficiently and with a best-in-class culture
- Communicating with our core engineering team to provide real-time product feedback from the field
- Improving product documentation and authoring knowledge base articles
- Creating and reviewing product demos and internal tooling
- Working closely with the team behind Apache Kafka!
Required skills and experience
- Excitement in learning about streaming data and becoming a domain expert in Apache Kafka
- Experience in diagnosing, reproducing, and resolving customer issues
- Desire to make customers successful through direct interaction
- Two out of these three:
- Experience troubleshooting applications running on Linux (resource contention, network bottlenecks, etc.)
- Operational knowledge of Java applications (jstack,jmap, etc.)
- Experience with at least one mainstream distributed system (e.g. Kafka, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.)
Culture is a huge part of Confluent, we’re searching for the best people who not only excel at their role, but also contribute to the health, happiness and growth of the company. Inclusivity and openness are important traits, with regular company wide and team events. We are looking for people who are:
- Smart, humble and empathetic
- Hard working
- Inquisitive and not afraid to ask all the questions, no matter how basic
- Strive for excellence in their work, their team, and their company