Customer Success Engineer
Sydney, Australia /
Customer Solutions – Customer Success Management /
Dubbed an "open-source unicorn" by Forbes, Confluent is the fastest-growing enterprise subscription company our investors have ever seen. And how are we growing so fast? By pioneering a new technology category with an event streaming platform, which enables companies to leverage their data as a continually updating stream of events, not as static snapshots. This innovation has led Coatue Management, Altimeter Capital and Franklin Templeton to join earlier investors Sequoia Capital, Benchmark, and Index Ventures in the recent Series E financing of a combined $250 million at a $4.5B valuation. Our product has been adopted by Fortune 100 customers across all industries, and we’re being led by the best in the space—our founders were the original creators of Apache Kafka®. We’re looking for talented and amazing team players who want to accelerate our growth, while doing some of the best work of their careers. Join us as we build the next transformative technology platform!
Confluent is searching for a Proactive Support Engineer to join a growing team in its early stages. The Proactive Support Engineer is a technical resource that drives an improved customer experience by helping our customers avoid issues before they occur. The goal of the role is to increase adoption of our products, make customers successful more quickly, and to make support scale more efficiently by proactively avoiding customer issues. Strong candidates for this position will bring a mix of strong communication skills and technical depth, as the role will involve engaging directly with customers as they work to deploy and operate Kafka and other Confluent products.
A typical week at Confluent in this role may involve...
- Working directly with Confluent customers to proactively prepare for upgrades, go-lives, and other important events to ensure success during critical periods
- Engage with customers during technical onboarding and check-in calls to remove blockers to their deployment of Confluent platform
- Collaborating with Confluent’s sales teams by serving as the voice of support during quarterly business reviews
- Contributing to process development - we’re a small team, so we’re looking for people who want to help us lay the foundation for growing efficiently and with a best-in-class culture
- When necessary, roll up your sleeves and dig in to help address customer issues alongside Confluent Support Engineers and Core Engineering
- Leverage knowledge of your customers’ environments to assist Support Engineers and Professional Services teams in better serving your customers
- Use your knowledge of your customers’ environments and use cases to influence the roadmap of Confluent products
- When necessary, recommend proactive measures to help customers avoid issues and to ensure customer success (e.g. professional services engagements, training sessions, on-site visits, etc.)
- Improving product documentation and authoring knowledge base articles
- Creating and reviewing product demos and internal tooling
Required skills and experience
- Excitement to learn about streaming data and to become a domain expert in Apache Kafka
- Experience in diagnosing, reproducing, and resolving customer issues
- Desire to make customers successful through direct interaction
- 2+ years in Customer Support or other technical Customer Success position
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Intermediate to strong linux skills
Two out of these three:
- Experience troubleshooting applications running on Linux (resource contention, network bottlenecks, etc.)
- Operational knowledge of Java applications (jstack, jmap, etc.)
- Experience with at least one mainstream distributed system (e.g. Kafka, Hadoop, Cassandra, etc.)
Culture is a huge part of Confluent, we’re searching for the best people who not only excel at their role, but also contribute to the health, happiness and growth of the company. Inclusivity and openness are important traits, with regular company wide and team events. Here are some of the personal qualities we’re looking for:
Smart, humble and empathetic
Hard working, you get things done
Hungry to learn in a field which is ever evolving
Adaptable to the myriad of challenges each day can present
Inquisitive and not afraid to ask all the questions, no matter how basic
Ready to roll up your sleeves and help others, getting involved in projects where you feel you can add value
Strive for excellence in your work, your team and the company
Come and build with us. We are one of the fastest growing software companies in the market. A company built on the tenets of transparency, direct communication and inclusivity. Come meet the streams dream team and have a direct impact on how we shape Confluent.
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.