Development Manager – Security Engineering
Contrast Security is the world’s leading provider of security technology that enables software applications to protect themselves against cyber-attacks. Contrast's patented deep security instrumentation is the breakthrough technology that enables highly accurate analysis and always-on protection of an entire application portfolio, without disruptive scanning or expensive security experts. Only Contrast has intelligent agents that work actively inside applications to prevent data breaches, defeat hackers and secure the entire enterprise from development, to operations, to production.
About the Position
The role of the Development Manager involves a balance of day-to-day personnel management, as well managing development projects in a cross-functional manner. Development managers are not just managers, as they are expected to commit code, but at a different pace than contributing engineers.
As Development Manager of the Security Engineering team you have a number of responsibilities, but the primary one is to make sure our rules and policies in the product are accurate and get out the door. Your goal is to deliver results to the customer, or market, and do everything necessary to achieve this. To do this you need to make sure the different agent security engineers are able to work as efficiently as possible and this means making sure they have clear goals, both short term and long term, and that nothing prevents them from doing their work. From the initial project scope to deploying the product out to customer sites, each step is your responsibility. You can, and should, delegate as much as you can but be ready to check that things are being done as you want and be ready to jump in if it is not.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Own your product and software code base, including the feature road map, customer issues/defects and the technology road map.
- Lead up cross-functional development project initiatives owning project management, issue tracking, scoping and planning.
- Drive the daily standup meeting with the team to ensure projects are on-track and that issues are resolved timely.
- Support all hiring and recruiting initiatives for your team.
- Work on technical designs and architectural initiatives on a project by project basis.
- Manage individuals supporting their personal/career growth and development.
- Develop team and individual goals/objectives that align to the department and company goal
- Perform consistent and regular individual one on one meetings with team members.
- Be a team player. You love to work with others to find the right solutions.
- You love security and understand the application security landscape.
- You love to manage others and make them better developers.
- You love to code and deploy at scale.
- Desire to make the Internet a safer place.
- You approach problems from a product perspective, thinking through how the user will interact with what you're building.
- You have strong communication skills. You ask questions, let others know when you need help, and tell others what you need.
- You're a problem solver. You believe the best work is the result of finding the simplest solution to complex challenges.
- You see the big picture. You understand how the code you write interacts with systems and services, both internally and externally.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation (salary + equity)
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible paid time off
- Daily in-office lunches