Lead Backend Developer (PHP) (Full Remote possible)
⭐️ Who are we?
Convelio is a licensed freight forwarding startup evolving at the intersection of Tech, Logistics and the Art World. The startup specialises in the global shipping of high-end goods: paintings, sculptures, basically any valuable or bulky merchandise.
We've developed our own proprietary algorithm to offer competitive real-time shipping quotes and an end-to-end logistics service to the art market. Our mission is to become a tech-driven company in a traditional industry, and therefore make the shipping of bulky and valuable items as easy as possible for any business across the world by providing an online and seamless experience.
We currently serve a wide range of customers from art galleries, antique dealers, auction houses, online platforms to interior designers.
With 170+ colleagues scattered across Paris & London and now New York as well (since recently!), Convelio has a strong start-up & international culture. We thrive in solving complex logistics issues for our clients, enabling both sellers and buyers in the art market. We are backed by proven technology, prominent VC’s, and boast a global network and the resources (€9 million Series A funding in Jan. 2020) to seize the market opportunity.
🚀 Why Tech & Product at Convelio is fundamental and exciting
Our company is technology-driven and is growing the Product & Tech teams to build new digital solutions for both its clients and its suppliers in the art industry. We have different great products in constant communication, that are developed to bring the fine-art market to a whole new level.
We are building tech for:
- Art sellers, with our Instant Quoting tool for their shipping - a revolution in a market where shipping is slow, complex and opaque. Also, our API allows art galleries, auction houses and other art sellers to display our shipping prices directly on their website - a way to bring transparency and speed into their processes.
- Art-shippers, to help our suppliers manage their operations easier thanks to data and process automation, gain in efficiency and save time on low added value tasks
- Art-logisticians (us!), to automate most of the logistics chain, improve internal processes for our teams and design an enjoyable working experience...and a lot more!
Shipping is considered as one of the biggest challenges in growing the online art market. We believe technology will provide unmatched customer experience through digital services and optimize operations efficiency through automation of logistics.
Our main engineering challenges :
- Integrate with major Internet marketplaces’ APIs
- Migrate from PHP 7.4 to 8
- Explore microservice architecture
- Ensure availability of our services on multiple regions
- Implement DDD
- Migrate our Backend framework
👉 What your team will look like
By being part of Convelio, you’ll join a growing and passionate Tech team of 20 people, whose mission is to improve and maintain the Convelio platforms, working hand in hand with the Product team.
As a Lead Back-End Developer, you will work in strong collaboration with the members of your multi-disciplinary Squad, our DevOps team, our CTO and our Product Team to iterate on our product, define API requirements, contribute to our core backend and implement new features. Using your knowledge of DDD, BDD and Hexagonal Architecture, you'll help us build scalable and maintainable software to empower the Art Industry.
✏️ What you'll do
- Take an active part in the Software Architecture and Tech decision-making, discussing it with other senior team members
- Be accountable for the delivery of items of the roadmap, partnering with Product Manager
- Design and build new performing and scalable features to answer our customer’s evolving needs, using notably but not only DDD and Hexagonal Architecture as guidelines
- Ensure the robustness of our code and its quality by implementing and improving our testing strategy
- Document new developments and review team members’ code Organize the shift of the backend stack in order to prepare common growth issues (scalability, maintainability, performance, etc.)
- Drive ideas to improve our development standards and processes
- Mentor junior members of the team and show them how you can ship beautiful code in the blink of an eye
- Work and communicate with Operations & Sales teams on implementing new features
⛏️ Our technical stack includes...
- Application Framework: Zend/Laminas, Angular
- Testing: PHPUnit, Behat
- Data Storage: MySQL
- Hosting: Google Cloud Platform
- Tools: Docker, Datadog, Github, SonarQube
- Project management: Product Board, Trello, Notion
🌍 What we Offer
- Possibility to work remotely as much as you want (also after Covid-19!)
- If you want to come to the office: we do have a very pleasant office environment to learn and thrive in: new bright offices in a nice district in the center of Paris!
- Mac or PC of your choice, it’s up to you!
- We can select the IDE of your choice for you to work with
- A dynamic team with diverse and highly advanced skill sets to learn from
- Autonomy to suggest improvements in team processes and development strategy
- The chance to work in an exciting and fast-growing Tech-Logistics company : it’s a key moment to join Convelio in terms of growth and opportunities.
- Dedicated personal yearly learning budget and team support to grow both as a person and as a team
- Healthcare complement with Alan
- Meal vouchers with Swile (6€/worked day, free of charges)
- Regular team buildings even when working remotely (escape games, video games, remote painting initiation, summer/christmas parties...)
🧑🎨 Preferred Experience
- 4+ years of experience in back-end development
- You have shipped several important backend projects in a professional environment
- You have experience with OOP PHP coupled with a framework (Zend/Symfony/Laravel...)
- You have already seen what DDD and Hexagonal Architecture look like in a professional context
- You have a good knowledge in relational databases concepts and SQL
- A knowledge of Google Cloud Platform or any other public cloud is a plus
- You have a good knowledge in designing, building and maintaining APIs
- You like to chat with non-technical people - at Convelio, we are deeply convinced we won’t be able to build a great product without interacting with other teams.
📑 Recruitment process
- First 30 min call interview
- Technical Test
- 1 hour interview with CTO
- 1 hour interview with a Senior developer
- Meet the team!
- A final step would be Reference checks
📺 If you want to know more about Convelio, watch this video!
🚀Join us for a thrilling adventure!
🤝 Convelio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunities based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identify, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We carefully hire the best talent we can find, which means actively seeking diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and ways of thinking. We are passionate about building an inclusive culture where diversity is celebrated and leveraged to create better design and business decisions.