Computer and Security Systems Engineer
Security & Compliance /
Conversant Group is an IT infrastructure and security consulting company founded in 2009 and based in Chattanooga, TN. We are the world’s first Civilian Cybersecurity Force, dedicated to defeating cyber terrorists. To do so, Conversant Group is organized into three battalions: Athena7 which provides infrastructure assessment, strategy and remediation, Grypho5 which offers ongoing managed protection, and Fenix24 which provides rapid restoration in case of a cyberattack.
We are searching for an experienced Computer and Security Systems Engineer to join our corporate IT team. In this role, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining computer systems and security measures to protect our organization's digital assets. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the smooth operation of our desktop / laptop and VDI assets, safeguard sensitive information, and identify and mitigate potential security risks. The ideal candidate has a strong background in computer engineering, network security, and possesses excellent problem-solving and communication skills. A successful candidate will have strong customer service, communications, and organizational skills. This position reports to the Manager of User Experience
- Design, develop, and implement computer systems, networks, and security measures to support the organization's operations.
- Assess, identify, and evaluate potential security risks and vulnerabilities targeting desktops, laptops, and servers to develop appropriate countermeasures.
- Install, configure, and maintain operating systems, maintaining the system supporting the deployment process.
- Conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments to ensure compliance with industry standards and best practices, specifically those dealing with the end points.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to establish and enforce security policies and procedures.
- Monitor MDR alerts (system logs, and security event management systems) to detect and respond to security incidents in a timely manner.
- Investigate and resolve with a security team network and security-related incidents, providing assistance from the end points perspective, and document findings and actions taken for future reference.
- Stay updated with emerging technologies, industry trends, and security threats, and recommend appropriate security enhancements.
- Provide technical guidance and support to other IT staff members, including OS and application deployment, Windows Update processes and hardware maintenance.
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of new hardware and software solutions, ensuring they meet security requirements.
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, documentation, updating/patching, and reliable operation of our corporate servers and hosts.
- Install, configure, patch and support endpoint applications and security controls (Antivirus, DNS filtering, VPN clients, etc.) on corporate systems.
- Regular reviews of the environment to ensure we are following best practices and looking for ways for betterment.
- Ensure proper recording, documentation, and closure of service tickets.
- Documentation of processes and how-to guides.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues.
- Perform regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures including validation of restoration capabilities.
- Administration of tools used within the corporation including: Monitoring, Patching, Remote Access, and Endpoint Management/ Documentation/ Password Vault.
- Creation of reports both internally and for clients.
- Escalated support on service tickets ensuring all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in information technology, Business, Operations, or relevant field experience strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of Windows Registry
- Strength in Active Directory, Group Policy objects, site / domain designs
- Extensive knowledge in Windows deployment tools (PE, WSUS, SCCM)
- Identity tools and protecting C$, Remote Reg, RDP, ETC
- Hardening OS (desktop and Server) – reducing attack surfaces
- Experience with VMware virtualization environment (ESX, vCenter).
- Managing Virtual host environments (Citrix, Horizon).
- 3+ years supporting Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- 3+ years supporting Microsoft Windows workstation operating systems.
- Experience deploying Citrix / Horizon VDI’s a must!
- Previous experience with O365 and Azure is a plus!
- Excellent analytical, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans.
- Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing IT operations best practices, including knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills, including strong relationship building skills and leadership capabilities.
- Ability to form relationships across all levels of the company while modeling Conversant’s culture and values.
Why work for us?
We offer a dynamic, innovative work environment with rewarding work - help save our clients from disaster!
We truly value our employees and provide an extraordinary package to prove it, including:
Internal and external learning & development opportunities, including career advancement.
Competitive compensation & benefits.
Scheduled & flexible PTO programs.
Fully remote work options.
Family friendly programs
Regular team building events.
Join the world's first Civilian Cybersecurity Force and take your career to the next level!