Senior/Economist, Structural IO - Marketplace
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, drive fuller trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Economists and Data Scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
Convoy's Marketplace Pricing team is looking for an applied Economist with experience in structural modeling and industrial organization. This team member will develop, estimate and implement economic models of pricing and competition. Working with our forecasting group, they will do deep-dive analysis of our marketplace, of industry competitiveness, and of broader industry dynamics. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of post-PhD experience building economic models in a production environment and using economic modeling to drive high-impact business decisions.
You will do the following:
- Structural demand modeling and estimation
- Build and improve optimal pricing solutions in a production environment
- Tackle/solve big problems with small and imperfect data
About your skills & experience:
- PhD in Economics, Finance, or highly related field
- 1+ year of post-PhD experience, preferably in industry
- Strong Python and/or R programming skills
- Familiarity with SQL
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter and writer
- You can speak up for your expertise in a cross-functional setting
- Experience working on a marketplace platform in a business environment
- Experience with any of the following: Estimation of demand systems, single-agent dynamic optimization, models of search and matching, and design and estimation of empirical models of auctions.
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health &Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Candidates must be eligible to work at Convoy HQ in Seattle.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!