Director, Portfolio Management
Seattle, Washington /
Marketplace Growth /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward!
As the Director of Portfolio Management you will continually assess forward-looking risk and opportunity of Convoy’s portfolio of freight across a range of market scenarios, and turn those assessments into actionable recommendations and policy. You will be responsible for a team who owns day-to-day recommendations and policies to maximize the portfolio’s value while balancing the risks of programs and initiatives that support the company strategy and growth goals. You will partner closely with the Sales and Account Management teams, as well as various Product teams, and will be a leader in guiding investments in various programs and projects against the company’s strategic plans and goals.
- Manage, mentor, and scale a highly analytical business operations team composed of Portfolio Managers and BI Analysts.
- Establish growth and risk management strategy, codifying recommendations through policy, cross organizational alignment, and executive alignment.
- Be responsible for achieving and exceeding financial goals across our vertical portfolios of freight, in tight partnership with Shipper team leadership and Product .
- Have a bias to action, identifying and responding to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively. You are decisive and have impeccable judgment when managing tradeoffs.
We're looking for someone who has:
- 10+ years of professional experience in strategy, analytics, portfolio management, risk management, yield management or similar fields. Experience defining, supporting, and/or managing marketplace operations and strategy.
- 3+ years of experience managing high-performing and analytically driven teams
- The ability to own and drive programs that are a part of the larger strategic vision for Convoy and to develop strategy and gain buy-in for future innovation.
- The ability to influence without authority. You drive effective teamwork, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities. You have an executive presence with the ability to succinctly, confidently and articulately defend and challenge positions in both verbal and written communications.
- Fluent with data and can draw insights and actions from them, unlocking both incremental and large operational improvements. Strong analytical and financial skills to work on complex business scenario planning. SQL, Excel and/or similar data analysis experience.
- A strong focus on execution and can drive concrete programs from early strategy to maturity.
- The ability to excel in a dynamic work environment as an early leader of a growing team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. You can synthesize data into recommendations for business strategy & tactics to a range of audiences including executive leadership.
- Strong judgement and can assess costs, benefits, and risks to programs. You can identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively.
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- High emotional intelligence and humility. You are confident, yet humble and enjoy hearing diverse perspectives on a problem. You bring groups together to agree on the best possible solution.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!