Data Scientist - Economic Research
Seattle, Washington /
Data Science /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
You are the data science equivalent of an ER doc -- able to dive deep when necessary, but also a true expert at applying your broad analytic toolkit to quickly triage and develop workable answers to real-world questions in a dynamic setting. You are enthusiastic about data visualization and data storytelling -- capable of toggling between the worlds of math, code, art, and prose -- and are eager to launch a career at the intersection of economics and data journalism. You are a lifelong student with strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated intellectual honesty/integrity.
- Conduct analysis and data visualization to expand and maintain Convoy’s macro/market outlook materials that inform Executive, operational and customer decision-making.
- Support Convoy’s Economic Research team on topics including freight market dynamics, industry and regulatory trends, and environmental impacts.
- Collaborate effectively with a diverse, interdisciplinary group of economists, data scientists, marketers, sales/account representatives, engineers, visual designers, and product managers.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Early-career MS or PhD in Economics/Applied Economics or similar quantitative, applied research-oriented field. We will consider recent Bachelor’s degree graduates for the more junior spectrum of potential roles. Candidates with a non-traditional educational background are encouraged to apply.
- At least three years of experience in applied research (including graduate training), consulting, finance, public policy, or data journalism. 0-2 years for more junior roles.
- Familiarity with a broad econometric toolkit such as time series/forecasting, prediction, experimental and observational causal inference, and survey design/analysis. More junior candidates will over-index on data visualization, but should be familiar with basic statistical concepts.
- Proficiency in scientific or statistical programming languages such as R or Python, and be able to work in R soon after onboarding. Candidates whose primary experience is in a different statistical programming language will also be considered. Familiarity with SQL-based languages is a plus.
- Strong communication and personal management skills; a knack for clean, concise, compelling narrative; and an eye for data visualization.
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!