Software Engineer, IAM and Auth
Seattle, Washington /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
About the team:
The Auth[n|z] team is a relatively new team at Convoy responsible for authentication and authorization patterns used by product engineers to create secure services for Convoy customers. This team was created in order to build the next-generation auth and user infrastructure with the intent of fully replacing our identity and access management systems with newer more flexible and consistent designs that will allow Convoy to continue to scale. The team owns the systems supporting our sign-in flow, the libraries provided to product teams to implement authorization within the product and, this year, a new user platform to centralize user identity at Convoy. Engineers on the team design and develop systems that support product teams as they expand the scope of Convoy products with new requirements, user types, and roles.
Convoy is a team of talented, thoughtful engineers automating the logistics industry. Our goal is to develop amazing software to make trucking efficient while growing ourselves and our coworker’s sustainably. You should be passionate about listening to your customers and building systems that anticipate their needs and provide them with intuitive patterns and consistent foundations. You should pride yourself on developing products at light speed, while simultaneously being intentional in your approach towards the process, communication, and building systems.
- Build systems and patterns that make it easier for our product engineers to create their features and new lines of business
- Write scalable software that helps us efficiently handle the large amount of volume on our platform. Trucking and freight is the most common job in the United States and we have a large and diverse user base
- Partner directly with product engineers to understand the business needs of upcoming and existing products
- Partner closely with the Security team
- Support auth use cases across web application, web service, and mobile-based products
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience creating identity and auth systems in a distributed environment
- >4 years of industry experience building production software
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Strong experience in mentoring both junior and senior engineers in multiple dimensions
- A proven track record of driving technical strategy across engineering teams and organizations
- A growth mindset and ability to rapidly learn new technologies and concepts to meet the needs of our customers
- The ability to help cultivate flexible, diverse, and empathetic engineering teams
Nice to haves:
- Our stack is written mostly in/on Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We’re open to engineers from all backgrounds, but having knowledge in these areas is helpful.
- Experience with OAuth2 and OpenID Connect protocols and libraries
- Experience and familiarity with building and operating large-scale, production-critical services.
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!