Sr. Manager, Research Science - Marketplace Matching
Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, fully utilize their trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing rapidly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including Google's CapitalG and the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Who we’re looking for:
Research Science is at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design experiments to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, economics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
We are looking for an experienced Research Science Manager to join the Matching Team in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. The Matching Team owns Convoy’s core models for matching carriers and freight, including dynamic brokerage and automated reloads. This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company by scaling a team of talented Research and Data Scientists as we double-down on the core algorithms that drive our business.
If you are interested in joining a company that is integrating economic insights and data science into the core of its business, while leveraging technology to drive efficiencies in a critical sector of the economy, let’s talk.
In this role, you will oversee the following:
- Experimental Design
- Auction Design
- Forecasting/Time Series Analysis
- Recommendation Systems
- Marketplace Dynamics
- Machine Learning
You have the following skills & experience:
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, a natural science, or equivalent quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience doing statistical modeling, quantitative analysis, or machine learning to solve business problems
- 2+ years of experience managing and developing data scientists/economists in a dynamic business environment
- Extensive experience with scientific/statistical languages such as R or Python
- SQL fluency
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent presenter and writer
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
Bonus skills/ experience:
- 5+ years of experience managing and developing research scientists/economists in a dynamic business environment
- Experience with two-sided markets (platforms) and other economic theory
- Experience in bidding and pricing (e.g., quant experience)
- Experience designing and deploying machine learning solutions for a production environment
- Strong research and publication record
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health & Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!