Director, Research Science
Seattle, Washington /
Data Science /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
About the team:
The Dynamic Marketplace team is responsible for matching inside Convoy's two-sided marketplace. We are a team of scientists, engineers, and product managers who each day help thousands of carriers efficiently find the best load for them. Our scientific and technical solutions underpin many of the core functionalities of Convoy’s marketplace. Our goal is operate the world’s best digital freight marketplace, while providing exceptional experience for our carriers and shippers.
You are a senior leader who has experience with complex, multi-disciplinary science teams. You are able to drive long-run scientific strategy, as well as dive into the details. You are comfortable guiding your team from ideation to deployment. You hire and develop exceptional data science talent - finding the right people to scale your organization. Fast-paced, collaborative environments energize and bring out the best in you.
- Work with your teams to deliver innovative solutions that improve the operation of Convoy’s marketplace
- Provide input and guidance to the scientific roadmaps developed by your teams
- Lead a complex, interdisciplinary science organization that drives sustained business impact
- Help scale the science behind Convoy’s digital freight marketplace
- Partner with senior product and business peers to understand tradeoffs and shape Convoy’s strategy
- Attract and develop exceptional talent
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, or related quantitative field
- 7+ years of experience using statistical modeling, quantitative analysis, or machine learning to solve business problems
- 5+ years of experience managing data scientists in a fast-paced business environment
- 2+ years of experience managing managers
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as Python or R.
Nice to haves:
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, or related quantitative field
- Experience with two-sided markets (platforms) and other economic theory
- Experience in bidding and pricing
- Experience designing machine learning solutions for a production environment
- SQL fluency
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!