Director, Shipper Insights
Seattle, Washington /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
The Director, Shipper Insights heads up our efforts at developing and delivering world-class supply-chain / transportation insights that solve meaningful customer problems. You will report to the head of Business Operations & Sales Strategy, working with our Sales and Account Management teams, while also collaborating closely with our Data Science, Product, Engineering and Marketing orgs. You’ll identify, articulate and propose thoughtful ideas that help our customers answer their hardest ‘why’ and ‘how’ questions. You’ll collaborate closely with our peerless Data Science, Product, Engineering and Marketing folks, helping unlock the full value of Convoy’s Digital Freight Network through at-scale products and processes. It necessitates blending your intimate knowledge of our customers, the broader market and Convoy’s deep quantitative view into supply chains in order to guide the creation of whimsical stories, grounded in data, that get our customers to ‘happily ever after’.
- Own and drive the Shipper Insights strategy, maintaining a long-term perspective that is continuously grounded in feedback and learnings from our shippers.
- Build, manage and lead a team of storytellers / business strategists who are capable of mining for insights and turning them into compelling narratives that help solve our customers’ problems.
- Communicate program goals, status, progress and issues to stakeholders throughout the company.
- Effectively guide and collaborate with partners in Data Science, Engineering and Product at identifying, building and launching insight-related products for our customers.
- Work alongside Marketing in crafting insight-focused assets that build thought leadership and increase sales velocity.
- Help mentor and coach the front-line sales team on incorporating insights into sales motions throughout the customer lifecycle.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- BS or Advanced Degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, a natural science or equivalent quantitative subject.
- 10+ years of experience at a top-tier tech company or consulting firm where you leveraged quantitative analysis, analytics, and data science in order to solve business problems, preferably in a customer-facing role.
- 7+ years of experience managing teams of both technical and non-technical resources.
- A masterful storyteller, capable of distilling complex ideas and data into simple, digestible and compelling narratives.
- High degree of comfort with ambiguity, with the ability to think and act both strategically and tactically in unstructured problem spaces.
- Experience building, scaling and evolving ambiguous strategic and cross-functional programs from the ground-up.
- A firm sense of ownership, where you get your hands messy in the details, but do so in service of letting our sales team shine with our customers.
- Worked with and influenced external VP-level / C-Suite stakeholders.
Nice to haves:
- Worked closely with sales teams and/or directly with enterprise customers.
- Reimagined and executed supply chain optimizations.
- Data visualization and/or early product prototyping / design.
- Working knowledge of scientific / statistical languages such as R or Python.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!