Director, Asset Operations
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to fundamentally changing the way freight moves across America and beyond for the better.
Founded in 2015, we’re a mission-driven, well-funded, fast-growing startup, backed by world-class investors, including CapitalG, the growth equity investment fund of Google, and leading industry disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
We were named one of Washington State’s top places to work, a LinkedIn Top Startup and were the recipient of the GeekWire Next Text Titan in 2018.
About Convoy Go
Convoy Go is a drop & hook marketplace that allows any carrier or owner-operator in the U.S. to start hauling pre-loaded trailers -- and to operate at the same level as large asset-based carriers.Drop & hook shipments (pre-loaded trailers) currently represent the majority of Fortune 500 company shipments. To date, most of these shipments have been serviced by large asset-based carriers. Convoy Go enables any carrier or owner-operator in the U.S. using the Convoy app to operate at the same level as large asset-based carriers, in terms of fleet utilization, service levels and access to shipments. With its drop & hook marketplace, Convoy Go creates a seamless “grab and go” system, where carriers simply bring their power unit (a truck’s engine and cab), pick up a pre-loaded trailer, and hit the road. To accomplish this, Convoy Go leverages its Universal Trailer Pool, a nationwide pool of Convoy-managed trailers that can be used by any driver in Convoy’s network, with no rental fees.Learn more about Convoy Go here
What we’re looking for:
We are looking for a leader that can help us build, manage and scale Convoy’s physical assets organization. The objective of this organization is to manage Convoy assets in order to provide high levels of service to our shippers at the minimum cost. This role is critical to influence the unit economics of our program by improving our general asset utilization and decreasing our procurement costs.
The role entails different responsibilities a) Operations: managing our asset operations team to make sure that we are routing our trailers to shippers facilities to service our ongoing drop & hook volume, b) Procurement: manage the long term procurement of trailers to ensure that our universal trailer pool is able to service the growth of our business, c) Relationship Management: Partner with our business development team to negotiate terms and agreements with asset leasing companies, manufacturers and service providers.
This leader will manage an initial team of ~10 which will significantly scale as our asset footprint grows.
What you'll be doing:
- Your responsibilities will be:
- Develop and scale foundational infrastructure, tools and processes to manage Convoy Physical Assets
- Set the procurement strategy for Convoy assets, including provider selection through business development.
- Manage rhythm of the business i.e. drive increased visibility for our leadership team into business performance and opportunities for growth
- Support annual and quarterly strategic planning process.
- Facilitate org-wide strategic planning to set priorities and goalsDefine, launch and execute strategic asset initiatives
- Influence cross-functional stakeholders on goals, process design / hand-offs and decision making
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and standardization
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience managing Operations teams
- Experience in procurement/Business development
- Experience building and scaling large-scale strategic and cross-functional programs from the ground-up
- Experience with developing and deploying organizational strategies and goals
- Desire to work in fast-paced, challenging environment.
- MBA is a plus
- Experience in the Transportation industry (ideal Trucking, ideally with Assets)