Principal Engineering Manager
Seattle, Washington /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
The Mobile and Web Platform teams are tasked with ownership and management of Convoy’s mobile and web frontend applications. We are focused on accelerating and scaling mobile and web development by establishing foundational app principles, process methodologies, architecture, and standards while maintaining a high quality, robust, and industry leading user experience. Additionally, the team focuses on related backend services which pair with our app such as location tracking and communications which are critical to our business and provides our customers with new levels of service. The work we do directly impacts experimentation and product velocity and is critical to achieving our goal of building a world-class trucking and freight management platform. We have had significant growth in our company and we are looking for leaders to help us execute on long term bets to help us hyper scale our business.
Now is the perfect time for you to come be a part of our inclusive, high-caliber engineering team as we work to realize this massive vision.
Ideal candidates will have experience building and managing world class engineering teams. They will also have a passion for mobile and/or web technologies and will be knowledgeable about the latest advances in these areas. Our mobile and web experiences are a key part of our business, and we’re looking for leaders that have deep expertise in building world-class apps and related backend services. They will enjoy leading the careers of extraordinary software developers, collaborating with diverse stakeholders, and will bring a growth mindset and strong learning orientation.
- Manage software platform engineering teams within Convoy’s Carrier organization
- Develop and deliver on customer focused, high impact roadmaps for your team that will delight internal and external customers
- Help your team build and manage foundational frameworks, patterns, and technologies that help our company create the best app experiences at scale
- Contribute to a culture of technical excellence at Convoy
- Build trust with various stakeholders and tackle cross-org problems
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 7+ years managing software engineering teams that operate at scale
- Experience with managing direct reports
- Able to scale and lead multiple teams
- Demonstrated ability to grow the careers of senior and principal level engineers
- Capable of upleveling standards and architecture of technical platforms
- Able to think strategically across business, product, and technical domains
- Excellent project management skills to help teams deliver on time
- Strong people management skills to recruit, manage and develop talent
- Strong communication skills to interface with technical and non-technical stakeholders
Nice to haves:
- Solid understanding of backend services and how they interface with applications
- Good intuition on product development while being able to deep dive and understand the complexities of our business
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!