Senior Research Science Manager, Automated Brokering
Seattle, Washington /
Data Science /
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get instant quotes, real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and actionable business analytics to improve their supply chain. Trucking companies get access to free tools and resources that allow them to find loads they want, drive fuller trucks, and get paid quickly. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Founded in 2015, Convoy is backed by this century's leading disruptors, including the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, Linkedin, Expedia, Dropbox, KKR, Starbucks, and others.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for an experienced Research Science Manager to join the Automated Brokering team in Convoy’s Marketplace organization. This team owns Convoy’s core models for matching carriers and freight, including dynamic brokerage and auction mechanisms and optimization. Data scientists on this team are also responsible for designing experiments and leveraging econometric models to characterize marketplace dynamics. This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company by scaling a team of talented Research and Data Scientists as we double-down on the fundamental algorithms at the heart of our business.
If you are interested in joining a company that is integrating economic insights and data science into the core of its business, while leveraging technology to drive efficiencies in a critical sector of the economy, let’s talk.
You have the following skills and experience:
- PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Math/Operations Research, Electrical Engineering, Economics, or related quantitative subject
- 5+ years of experience doing statistical modeling, quantitative analysis, or machine learning to solve business problems
- 2+ years of experience managing data scientists/economists
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as Python or R.
Nice to have:
- 5+ years of experience managing data scientists in a fast-paced business environment
- Experience with two-sided markets (platforms) and other economic theory
- Experience in bidding and pricing (e.g., quant experience)
- Experience designing machine learning solutions for a production environment
- Big data tools such as Spark, and/or Hadoop
- SQL fluency
- Proven research and publication record
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!