Software Engineer, Platform Excellence
Seattle, Washington /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
About the team:
The Platform Excellence team is responsible for the production infrastructure systems and operational excellence at Convoy. It is similar to SRE Core and SRE Developer teams at other companies. We do both site reliability engineering and software engineering to create production infrastructure. We work with all product and infrastructure teams to build the tools and infrastructure necessary to meet the needs of the product and consistently raise the reliability and performance of Convoy systems. We own the compute platform and deployment system, production datastores, monitoring and alarming systems, infrastructure orchestration and Convoy’s central production monolith reliability. In addition, we run the eng-wide operational excellence programs that are designed to build tools and processes that reduce operational burden that cover root cause analysis, incident commander and opex reviews.
PlatEx engineers are eager to build wide-ranging platforms that impact all teams at Convoy and have a passion for providing systems that are resilient, safe and capable of scaling to meet the demands of an always-on internet-based product. You have experience maintaining distributed systems and an understanding of common failure cases and strategies used to avoid them. You are a software engineer capable of modifying open source solutions or building new platforms when there is a need. You have good communication skills that you’ll use to educate service teams on the platforms and systems we create and how they can be leveraged to make their jobs easier. You are willing to dive deeply into problems and participate in the operational excellence program including root cause analysis and working directly with service teams and orgs to remediate and prevent incidents.
- Build production hosting systems at Convoy
- Be the SME for datastores including scaling, capacity and disaster recovery strategies
- Participate in the operational excellence program as an advisor to product teams
- Write software that ranges from hosting platforms, metrics collection, log analysis to communication.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience building infrastructure systems
- Experience performing root cause analysis in a distributed environment
- Passion for raising the quality bar and working across teams to ensure they have and are using the tools necessary to meet that bar
- Experience with some of the following: Kubernetes, Spinnaker, Containers, Monitoring and Metrics systems, Postgres, Redis and Terraform
- Willingness to learn and write in NodeJS (this is Convoy’s default language)
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!