Principal Research Scientist - Carrier
Seattle, Washington /
Data Science /
Who we are:
Convoy, one of the fastest growing startups in the U.S., is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Convoy offers the world's largest companies the best option for moving their freight through its network of thousands of technology-connected trucking companies. Convoy is growing quickly and hiring in every area. Come join a company that is literally moving the world forward!
Research and Data Scientists are at the core of Convoy’s platform. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. We also forecast business metrics, evaluate the causal impact of business decisions, design statistical and machine learning models to optimize our product, and leverage our data to generate insights for our customers. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, causal inference, experimental design, econometrics, and prediction domains. We have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
What you will do:
At Convoy you will be expected to work autonomously and own your domain end-to-end. You will closely collaborate with fellow Research Scientists, Engineers, and Product Managers across the Product and Engineering organization and interact with stakeholders across the company. You will be responsible for designing and developing new statistical models, evaluating new product launches and innovations, and influencing the team’s roadmap.
You’ll contribute to a number of high impact projects like search relevance, customer targeting, and browse experience.
You have the following skills and experience:
- MS/PhD in engineering, economics, statistics, computer science or equivalent quantitative subject
- Minimum of 7+ years of experience in a dynamic business environment
- Strong technical programming ability with an emphasis on R and/or Python
- Experience working with ML models in production environments
- Intelligent but practical; you want to get things done and love simplicity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are comfortable interacting with technical and non-technical audiences
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. at our Seattle HQ.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!