Engineering Manager, Convoy Go
Seattle, Washington /
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
About the team:
Convoy Go is a drop & hook marketplace that allows any carrier or owner-operator in the U.S. to start hauling pre-loaded trailers -- and to operate at the same level as large asset-based carriers. Drop & hook shipments (pre-loaded trailers) currently represent the majority of Fortune 500 company shipments. To date, most of these shipments have been serviced by large asset-based carriers. Convoy Go enables any carrier or owner-operator in the U.S. using the Convoy app to operate at the same level as large asset-based carriers, in terms of fleet utilization, service levels and access to shipments. With its drop & hook marketplace, Convoy Go creates a seamless “grab and go” system, where carriers simply bring their power unit (a truck’s engine and cab), pick up a pre-loaded trailer, and hit the road. To accomplish this, Convoy Go leverages its Universal Trailer Pool, a nationwide pool of Convoy-managed trailers that can be used by any driver in Convoy’s network, with no rental fees. Learn more about Convoy Go here.
Ideal candidates are driven, empathetic leaders with experience building and managing world-class teams of diverse engineers. They will also have a passion for understanding the needs of our customers, our business, and our engineers, to determine the strategic path forward for our team. They will enjoy leading the careers of extraordinary software developers, collaborating with diverse stakeholders, and will bring a growth mindset and strong learning orientation. Additionally, they will be part of the engineering leadership team at Convoy and help shape the growth of the broader engineering organization.
- Manage and grow Convoy’s software engineering teams
- Develop and deliver on a customer-focused, high impact roadmap for your team that will delight customers
- Help your team build and manage foundational frameworks, patterns, and technologies that help our company create the best app experiences at scale
- Contribute to a culture of technical excellence at Convoy
- Build trust with various stakeholders and tackle cross-org problems
- Mentor and provide career growth for your engineers
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 2+ years managing software engineering teams that operate at scale
- Experience in data-related technology, examples including database, data warehouse, distributed processing, machine learning platforms, and etc
- Excellent project management skills to help teams deliver on time
- Strong people management skills to recruit, manage and develop talent
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Strong communication skills to interface with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to create an inclusive environment to help all members of your team thrive
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!