Mechanical Engineer, Power and Propulsion
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Power and Propulsion
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our team developing the propulsion systems of an electric aircraft, including: lift fans, propellers, electric motors, power electronics, servo mechanisms, cooling systems, electronics enclosures, all associated assembly tools and test equipment, and more. You will participate in concept development, design, prototyping, structural analysis, drawing creation, documentation, assembly and system level test. Weight minimization and structural optimization are critical to this role.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Design parts in support of ongoing projects lead by other engineers
- Build some hardware, maybe test it too
Within 6 months you will:
- Take ownership of the mechanical engineering portion of a new project, including design and analysis
- Work with technicians and other engineers to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Help build prototype hardware of your design
- Work with manufacturing engineers and production staff to start transitioning your project into production
Within 12 months you will:
- Watch airplanes fly around making use of the hardware you designed
- Support issues discovered during production
- Support certification testing efforts
- Take on more challenging projects, more responsibility, and get involved in more aspect of the design than just the mechanical engineering aspects
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience with 3D modeling using NX or an equivalent CAD system
- Ability to analyze and optimize for weight reduction
- Strong experience performing structural finite element analysis (FEA)
- Enthusiasm and desire to design a large quantity of high performance hardware
- Demonstrated ability to go from concept to hardware in minimal time
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or equivalent analysis tools
- Experience with detailed design and development of lightweight electro-mechanical systems, mechanisms, actuators, etc.
- Experience with FAA or EASA certification processes
- Knowledge of DO-160G environmental qualification
- FAA certification program experience. For example: Part 23, Part 27, or Part 33
- Knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Cora Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cora Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cora Aero is an E-Verify employer.