Dynamics Engineer - Power & Propulsion
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Power and Propulsion
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Dynamics Engineer to join our team developing the propulsion systems of an electric aircraft. You will work to develop lift fans and propellers in coordination with mechanical engineers, aerodynamics engineers, and structural analysts among others in a diverse and fast-paced team. Your focus will be on building and validating dynamic models of propellers and lift fans for the purpose of optimizing, designing, and validating them. These dynamic models will include aerodynamic, structural, acoustic, and rotordynamic effects. You will also be responsible for influencing the detailed design of these composite structures and mechanisms based on trade studies and optimization for load alleviation, ride quality, acoustic noise minimization, vibration reduction, and other desired characteristics.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team, get to know the system
- Learn some new analysis tools, get familiar with existing models
- Propose improvements to development and analysis processes
- Help perform some tests, collect and analyze the data
Within 6 months you will:
- Become well versed in the dynamics models used to optimize and design new propellers and lift fans
- Start a project using these models to design a clean sheet propeller or lift fan
- Continue to validate and improve the dynamics model toolchain via comparison to measurements on working systems
Within 12 months you will:
- Test hardware built using your dynamic models
- Troubleshoot issues discovered during testing
- Watch airplanes fly around making use of the hardware you designed
- Support certification verification efforts
- Continue to refine the modeling processes and toolchain of optimization and design of propellers and lift fans
- BS, MS, or PhD in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Aeronautical Engineering
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong experience performing structural finite element analysis, preferably using NX Nastran or similar
- Experience with aeromechanics tools such as Rotorcraft Comprehensive Analysis System (RCAS), CAMRAD, or equivalent
- Knowledge of aircraft aeroelasticity, flutter analysis, structural dynamics, and loads analysis
- Knowledge of aerospace development best practices and standards
- Knowledge of how to extract equivalent 1D beam models of complex 3D composite structures
- Education or work experience in computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with impact hammer testing and/or ground vibration testing (GVT) as a way of validating structural dynamics models at either the aircraft or component level
- Technical writing skills for documenting loads, analysis results, model validation results, etc
- Ability to analyze test data from aeroelastic and whirl flutter testing, comparing analytical results to experimental results
- Demonstrated ability to go from concept to hardware in minimal time
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or equivalent analysis tools
- Experience with 3D modeling using NX, Solidworks or an equivalent CAD system
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) as performance in this role requires access to export-controlled technology. Cora Aero will require proof of status prior to employment. This verification process is separate and distinct from Cora Aero’s general employment eligibility verification process.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Cora Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cora Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cora Aero is an E-Verify employer.