Systems Safety Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Systems Engineering
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently looking for a Systems Safety Engineer. The goal of System Safety is to accurately assess risk to inform decision-making which results in an appropriate level of safety. In support of the airworthiness effort, you will work alongside design engineers across all disciplines (mechanical, electrical, structural, software, controls, systems, aerodynamics, flight test, manufacturing) to identify, quantify and identify risks associated with the functions of the aircraft and support systems. You will utilize qualitative and quantitative risk assessment methods to determine the likelihood and severity of hazards. You will also flow down reliability and safety derived requirements to design engineering and flight test to appropriately mitigate risks.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Learn from others about the requirements development and system safety processes in place
- Get familiar with the system architecture
- Begin to conduct safety analysis of aircraft systems
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue learning about the aircraft
- Begin identifying potential issues in implementation, and propose analysis methods and mitigations
- Take ownership of the system safety lifecycle
Within 12 months you will:
- Reach a high level of familiarity with the system architecture
- Refine system safety touchpoints with other engineering teams
- Establish a feedback cycle to ensure safety impacts are recognized and addressed early and efficiently
You will be experienced in some of the areas below, and passionate about learning more:
- B.S. in Engineering, and at least two years of experience in systems engineering or certification
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Familiarity with conducting Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), and Common Cause Analysis (CCA) or similar techniques
- Familiarity with typical Reliability Engineering reports (e.g. Failure Modes Effects Analysis/FMEA/FMECA)
- Familiarity with requirements management tools
- Prior experience applying MIL-STD-882E and/or SAE ARP 4761 System Safety Assessment techniques
- Previous design and/or flight test experience
- Experience with an aircraft development program from conceptual design through certification
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Cora Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cora Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cora Aero is an E-Verify employer.