Mechanical Engineer Intern - Power & Propulsion
Mountain View, CA
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer Intern to join our team developing the propulsion systems of an electric aircraft, including: lift fans, propellers, electric motors, power electronics, servo mechanisms, cooling systems, electronics enclosures, all associated assembly tools and test equipment, and more. You will participate in design, prototyping, structural analysis, drawing creation, documentation, assembly and system level test.
- Design parts in support of ongoing projects lead by other engineers
- Build some hardware, maybe test it too
- Work with technicians and other engineers to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Work with manufacturing engineers and production staff to start transitioning a project into production
- Currently pursuing a B.S or M.S degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or any relevant technical discipline from an accredited college/university; and be in your second year of school or higher
- Experience with 3D modeling using NX or an equivalent CAD system
- Ability to analyze and optimize for weight reduction
- Strong experience performing structural finite element analysis (FEA)
- Enthusiasm and desire to design a large quantity of high performance hardware
- Demonstrated ability to go from concept to hardware in minimal time
- Knowledge of aerospace development best practices and standards
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or equivalent analysis tools
- Experience with detailed design and development of lightweight electro-mechanical systems, mechanisms, actuators, etc.
- Interest in aviation/aerospace
We are headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and have a satellite office in Atlanta, GA. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision (company pays 100% of employee premium), and unlimited PTO days. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as employee referral bonus, commuter assistance, charitable giving match, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.